In a deck of 44 cards, I drew 2 cards. I shuffled the deck again and drew the exact 2 cards in the same order. What’s the prob of this?

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

When you draw the first card, you have a 1 in 44 chance of drawing the correct first card, so your odds of getting this far are 1/44

If you get the first card right, then you have a 1 in 43 chance of drawing the correct second card - so your odds of finishing the sequence (if you got the first step correct) are 1/43

So the odds of both happening are simply (1/44) x (1/43) which is 1/1892

That works out to about 0.0053%

this is not even close to the one answer which incorrectly claims (without explanation) that the odds are 1/44 million.

Here's another way of looking at the same situation:

There are 44 cards which have equal chance of being the first one drawn. For each of those 44 possible results, there are 43 possible results for the 2nd card.

So 44 x 43 = 1892 possible combinations of cards when you keep track of the order in which they are drawn. Since you picked ONE specific combination of results out of 1892 equal possibilities, you have a 1/1892 chance of drawing the desired result.

• Nick
    1 year ago

(1 / 44) * (1 / 43 ) = 0.000535 or 0.0535%

• 1 year ago

honeycomb ****

• F
    1 year ago

Ignoring the fact there are 52 cards in a standard deck, I would say the odds depended on how well you shuffled. If you shiffle like me , i would say about 1 in 10, if you are a professional probably agree with the 1/44 x 1/43 answer.

• mack1 year agoReport

1/
      1892
      x

• 1 year ago

1/44 times 1/44

• 1 year ago

50-50. It will happen or it will not.

• 1 year ago

Two in forty-four million. (If my math's correct)

1 year ago

tksysrjv

1 year ago

vzmrfdjy

1 year ago

cohnynes