Ryan asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 years ago

I would argue that being knowledgable and being intelligent are two very different things. Would you agree?

I feel intelligence is related to how fast and how much information a person’s mind can soak and hold information for long periods of time, to be able to problem solve, to be able to learn all skills fast, and how close your mind is to having eidetic memory. Knowledge on the other hand I feel can be described in numerical values, that is, a quantity of how much important information you have gained through ones personal life experiences. So in a sense it’s related in terms as both intelligence and knowledge require memory, but there are definitely people I know personally that have received a Bachelors in Business and are completely incompetent when it comes to fast learning, grasping concepts and applying them immediately, and problem solving. They are very knowledgeable but not exactly ‘very’ intelligent.

Favorite Answer

I know intelligent people who had little formal education.

I know far more highly educated people who are not particularly intelligent. But because they are good at memorising facts and figures, and can quote the works of more intelligent people, they attain academic success. But ask them to put those facts together to see deeper meaning or genuinely new ideas and they struggle.

My car mechanic left school at 16 and comes up with very profound ideas all the time. He creates novel solutions to tricky problems, and can extrapolate what he knows to come up with new ideas. He tends to read James Joyce and other great authors, not because he’s been told they’re great but because he has discovered for himself that he genuinely enjoys their works in a critical fashion he was never taught. His favourite book is “The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists”, a novel I’d never heard of until I saw him reading it one day.

Yes. Being knowledgeable and being intelligent are two different things.

i may not be the fastest thing on the road, but eventually, i get where i am going.

• nikki1234
      2 years agoReport

intelligence grows from knowledge.

Yes!!! Intelligence. Unlike belief and knowledge, intelligence is not information: it is a process, or an innate capacity to use information in order to respond to ever-changing requirements. It is a capacity to acquire, adapt, modify, extend and use information in order to solve problems.

• Mark

There's a difference between intelligence and wisdom. Both have knowledge.