m asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 years ago

In the novel Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, what is the meaning of this quote?

“There is love in me the likes of which you've never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape. If I am not satisfied in the one, I will indulge the other.”

Favorite Answer

First, the quote is not from Mary Shelley's book Frankenstein. The quote is often misattributed to Shelley but the quote was written by director and screenwriter Kenneth Branagh for the film adaptation of Mary Shelley's novel.

While the quote is not found in the book, Shelly did write something similar -- “If I cannot inspire love, I will cause fear, and chiefly towards you my archenemy, because my creator, do I swear inextinguishable hatred."

Some say love and hate are polarities or extremes of the same type 'energy' or as A J said 'two sides of the same coin". . Hate is a fear based emotion as is anger. I would say fear in its many forms would be the opposite of love. You can choose love or you can choose fear.

It's also been said the same the amount of hate you have for me in this moment is a demonstration or measure of the same amount of love you have for me. Again, dif polarities of the same type of 'energy'. Think of a thermometer when I say that.

The monster wants Victor to make him a mate that looks like him so he has someone to love and to love him back. The quote was his response when his request was denied by Victor. He doesn't know what love is. A need based love seldom if ever works. He missed out on a mothers love. Sounds like a child having a tantrum but the monster in not child size. It's a threat. The monster is giving Victor an ultimatum. Either make me a mate and inspire love or don't and inspire fear . Your choice.

The person has no self control when pushed hard.

Was that the monster? I remember that, Dr Franenstein's rejection was what really set him off.

It means I have a lot of love in me but also a lot of anger. If I do not get some loving I will get very angry.

• User

It's plain...isn't it?

Please tell us what particular phrase or word you fail to understand.