CHRISTIANS - Do YOU believe that the DEAD are either in Heaven or Hell? Or that when we DIE our soul sleeps and waits until Christ's return?

I believe that when we die our physical body returns to the earth from which it came ['dust to dust'] and the spirit that gave us life returns to God and that our soul sleeps. Which means... none of our dearly departed are in Heaven. Some argue that by quoting the scripture that says, "Absent from the body, present with the Lord." But that has nothing to do with it. That's just Paul telling us of his desire to be with God. THAT SAID... that IS exactly what it will seem like to believers. For the next thing they are consciously aware of is what happens after the last trump. As it says in 1 Corinthians 15 51-52 "Behold, I show you a mystery: We shall not all SLEEP; but we shall all be changed. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet shall sound, and [THEN AND ONLY THEN] the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed." People want to believe that Grandma is in heaven looking down on us. But she is not.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • TeeM
    Lv 7
    10 months ago
    Best Answer

God's Word is very clear:

(Psalm 13:3) “ 3 Look upon me and answer me, O Jehovah my God. Give light to my eyes, so that I may not fall asleep in death,”

(Acts 7:59, 60) “. . .” 60 Then, kneeling down, he cried out with a strong voice: “Jehovah, do not charge this sin against them.” And after saying this, he fell asleep in death.”

(Acts 13:36) “36 David, on the one hand, rendered service to God in his own generation, fell asleep in death, was laid with his forefathers, and did see corruption.”

(1 Corinthians 7:39) “. . .But if her husband should fall asleep in death, she is free to be married to whomever she wants, only in the Lord.”

(1 Corinthians 15:5, 6) “. . .. 6 After that he appeared to more than 500 brothers at one time, most of whom are still with us, though some have fallen asleep in death.”

(1 Corinthians 15:20) “20 But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep in death.”

(side point, Jesus was the first to be taken to heaven by resurrection; all others are asleep awaiting their resurrection.

To those who misunderstand Eccl 12:7

Eccl 12:7 is the reverse of Gen 2:7.

The spirit that returns to God is our life force and not a spirit creature

Eccl 9:4-10 helps us understand, those who die have no knowledge, no love.

So those in Abraham's bosom can't feel or are concerned with God or their family.

Luke 16:19-31 is a parable of Jesus rejecting the Jewish Law and replacing it with the Law of the Christ.

• Carym
      Lv 6
      10 months agoReport

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End!" [Revelation 22:12-13].
      How is it that you only believe certain things about John? He was one of the Apostles who was the closest to Jesus.

• 10 months ago

Neither. He spirits of the dead are in Paradise and Hell right now. Heaven doesn't come until after the resurrections and final judgment.

They are being perfected and taught the gospel of Christ (1 Peter 3:18-20; 4:6). At least some of them will have the chance to benefit from it (1 Cor. 15:29).

God's love, justice, and mercy are all intact. Even hell is never forever. Rev. 20:12-14.

• Elle
    Lv 4
    10 months ago

There's no such thing as space, matter or time. Those are just ideas humans created to comprehend existence. The fact is we can be at many places at the same time. So grandma can be on earth, in Heaven and "sleeping" as you said all at once.

• 10 months ago

Already in one of the 2 places , or possessing some animal or ignorant human so he won't have to be faced with GOD .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Although I'm not certain on this one, Billy Graham said that from his own study of the Bible, he was convinced that when we die, we immediately enter the presence of the Lord. At some future time, we will be given new bodies, similar to the body Jesus had after His resurrection. But in the meantime, our souls are with the Lord, and we are fully conscious of being in His presence.

Who could argue Christianity with Graham?

Source(s): Rev. Billy Graham
  • Carym
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

We know from Scripture that at the Rapture God will reunite the believers' souls and their bodies -- "the dead in Christ shall rise first" and those who are alive will be changed in an instant -- they will have a glorified body, even as Christ came out of the tomb as the “firstborn from the dead.” [1 Corinthians 15:52]; [Revelation 3:10].

There is no interruption of life at the end of this life, we continue to be alive in our personal souls upon death. Jesus said to the thief on the cross, “I say to you, today you shall be with Me in paradise.” >>THERE IS NO DEATH OR UNCONSCIOUSNESS AROUND JESUS<<

At the stoning of Stephen, he had a full view of heavenly glory [Acts 7:55-59]. He saw in that hour what many would have given their all to see, the vision of his glorified Redeemer. He saw something in advance of mere “faith” such as dying Christians now have. And he said, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

Paradise is just another name for Heaven -- both describe a utopian state. Both describe the absence of sorrow, suffering, and sin.

Paul was caught between two things. On the one hand, his desire was to depart and be with Christ, which is far better, and on the other hand, he had a desire to remain alive and continue his ministry on this earth.

Unbelievers immediately go to their location, called "Hell."

[Psalm 9:17] The wicked will return to Sheol, even all the nations who forget God.

Here 'sheol' signifies the place of torment, commonly called Hell, where devils and damned spirits are; so too the souls of the wicked, immediately upon their departure from their bodies [Luke 16:23].

[Proverbs 15:24] The way of life winds upward for the wise, that he may turn away from Hell below.

https://youtu.be/iwfR3QI5zGA

Youtube thumbnail

• Carym
      Lv 6
      10 months agoReport

Dzr, after we are saved and brought into union with Christ a new responsibility is given to us, which is: to walk worthy of our salvation. Therefore, I sincerely apologize for having upset you, especially when I mistook you for a JW. Forgive me...

• 10 months ago

So Jesus was in error when he told the thief on the cross that he would in heaven (paradise) with him that same day.

It is the body that sleeps. The soul does immediately into the presence of God. The soul does not sleep.

• canadacraig
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

1 Corinthians 15 51-52 "Behold, I show you a mystery: We shall not all SLEEP...." I don't think the BODY would be referred to as WE. As for the thief - HIS next conscious awareness could make it seem like it was immediate - as it will for all who die. But they sleep until the last trump.

• 10 months ago

I believe the same as you do that when we die, our body returns to dust and our spirit leaves our body and returns to God who gave it - that's scripture (Ecclesiastes 12:7).

However, I don't believe like you that the soul sleeps. It is appointed unto man once to die, and after this comes the judgement.

I think the judgement has to be immediate so that the Lord can send us either to heaven or hell - whichever He determines by His judgement.

We don't sleep because everyone in heaven is talking, that's very clear from Revelation.

It's the body alone in the grave rotting which is resurrected. Jesus brings with Him when He comes, the souls and spirits of those who are already up in heaven with Him and those souls and spirits which are inextricably linked, join their bodies from out of the grave when Christ resurrects them out of the grave (1 Thessalonians 4:16).

There is no such thing as soul sleep. When we are up in heaven with Jesus Christ, we will be worshipping the Lamb on His Throne and so forth. Only the body sleeps (whilst it is dead and rotting) and until Christ comes back and resurrects all the dead bodies from the graves. That's what the resurrection of the dead is.

That's why the Bible says, death will have lost its sting and the GRAVE WILL LOSE IT VICTORY - in other words, if anyone is in Christ and they die and their body is in the grave, whilst their soul/spirit is in heaven, when Christ comes back for His own, those graves have to give up their dead bodies, so they lose them and God brings them back to life, so death loses its sting because we are no longer afraid to die, knowing that we shall be resurrected and live eternally with our Saviour. That's all in 1 Corinthians 15: 51 onwards.

The reason our body has to go into the grave whilst our spirit goes to heaven (Ecclesiastes 12:7) is because no flesh and blood can inherit God's kingdom of heaven, (1 Corinthians 15:50) so it has to be in the grave. "Sleeping" refers to our body in the grave not our soul/spirit, which are living. but when Christ returns He will change us from being mortal to immortal and from being corrupt to be incorrupt, it's all those scriptures I gave you in 1 Corinthians 15: 51 onwards. Our inner spirit is eternal (God is Spirit John 4:24) and God is eternal and we are made in His image) so it doesn't die when our body dies

• Carym
      Lv 6
      10 months agoReport

Yes, TeeM is a JW, and ever cautious around me. You only have to ask whether he's inhabited by the Spirit of Truth and because of his 'non-Trinitarian' position, he can't help but say "No!" And the rest is history. Unfortunately, this is the only truth he is capable of.

• 10 months ago

I don't believe in Hell.

• Carym
      Lv 6
      10 months agoReport

In the meantime, it is our responsibility to pray and work for the salvation of sinners before such awful punishment overtakes them.
      "Sin" is worse than Hell, because it gave birth to Hell. Now, may the doctrine of Hell keep you from the practice of sin. Cheers!

• 10 months ago

What the Bible says.

The dead know nothing at all. Ecclesiastes 9:5 When we die, we cease to exist.

The first man, Adam, returned to the dust when he died. Likewise, all others who die return to the dust.

Why did Jesus speak of death as a sleep?

Because a sleeping person is inactive. During deep sleep there is no consciousness of surroundings or the passing of time. There is no pain or suffering.

Similarly, in death there is no activity or activity or consciousness. But the comparison goes further with sleep.

With sleep, one expects to wake up. And that is exactly the hope that the Bible offers for the dead.

This would be the resurrection that Jesus spoke about.

Jesus’ early disciples clearly understood the true condition of the dead. To the followers of Jesus death was a sleep, and the grave a resting-place.

God knows what happens to us when we die, and he has told us that when a person dies, his life ends. Death is the opposite of life.

So when someone dies, his feelings and memories do not keep on living somewhere else.  When we die we can’t see, we can’t hear, and we can’t think anymore.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.