Why can't these plumbers fix this issue ?

Water-hammer sound, 1950's 3 story building. They changed cold water pipes that were galvanized, cartridges. When you close the hot water fast and hard it BANGS. All this work and they can't seem to fix it. What is happening here ? Months have gone by now.

This has been effecting my mental health, the sound is loud, wakes me up, startles me and I can't have any peace. I live with disability, CPTSD, Brain injury.

• paul h
    Favorite Answer

Well if they changed/fixed the cold water pipes, then they need to come back and fix the hot water pipes since those are the ones with the hammer effect. Install anti-hammer devices called arrestors and check for loose pipes....clamp as needed. My house from 1957 simply has extra dead end short piping installed in both hot and cold water lines near some sink and laundry taps which serve as an air pocket/ buffer to resist water hammer. Inform the landlord you won't pay rent until it's resolved...or hire your own plumber and deduct the repairs from your rent. Contact the local city housing authority and file a complaint if need be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cu9LUx79w4

Youtube thumbnail

It can be caused by several things, often in combination. Pipes not supported, high pressure and worn or cheap valves. If it is confined to your flat and you have a stop valve that isolates the water in your flat, try shutting it right down then opening it slowly till you get an adequate but not full flow. This should dampen the high pressure wave that causes the water hammer.

This is not a permanent solution, water hammer can eventually damage the pipework and loosen connections.

A good plumber can fix that no problem . I should know I am a problem . I suggest you get a good plumber

There needs to be an anti-hammer cylinder inside the wall near each hot water valve - shower, kitchen, etc. It's not something you can call your own plumber to do, as it needs to be done on all the apartments. Even if you were to fix yours, your neighbor might slam the water off, and make a bang. You can, of course, minimize your own bang by slowly easing the water off on your own fixtures.

Plumbers can absolutely fix the issue. Most likely, they only changed the cold water pipes, as those tend to corrode more than the hot. If the landlord won't spring for the fix, though, unfortunately your only options are going to be live with it, or move.

• Blonde

Sounds like it’s a broken bracket. Not a priority unless it leaks, sorry.

• Wilson11 months agoReport

Maybe where you live it isn't. Mental health is important.

Sounds like the pipes are loose in the walls/attic/basement.

Buy a white-noise generator to run while sleeping. Soft-foam earplugs.

• skeptic

The white noise generator spooks the dog???? That's one scared dog. They make the noise like a fan. Your only other recourse is to get soft-foam earplugs.....or move.

just check with the neighborhood people also manage to get a talented professional team to resolve the issue

• Wilson11 months agoReport

I wish I had the power to pick who does the work. And when. I'm just a tenant.