Why do film posters advertise Oscar winners?

Such as the film poster or trailer will say 'Starring Oscar winning actor' such and such Do they really put so much stock in the fact that they have a film with Oscar winning actors in. I saw a DVD box of a film called The Leisure Seeker (2017) with Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland. It said 'Oscar... show more Such as the film poster or trailer will say 'Starring Oscar winning actor' such and such

Do they really put so much stock in the fact that they have a film with Oscar winning actors in.

I saw a DVD box of a film called The Leisure Seeker (2017) with Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland.

It said 'Oscar Winning Actress Helen Mirren' and Golden Globe Winning actor Donald Sutherland'

I found that a bit pathetic really as though to say he isn't good enough to win an Oscar.

Why does film publicity have to mention that they have Oscar winners in the film?