Do you think it takes fearing God to have self-control?

Yesterday I was at church and after the service ended I saw a slice of left over pizza on a plate.

I really really wanted the pizza but decided it was not appropriate to take something when I had not asked the original owners for permission even though I was sure the pizza would get thrown out if it wasn't consumed within 3 hours and the lady who brought it had already left the building.

I ended up not eating it and the pastor's wife took it and ate it instead.

I think the fear of God is what can keep you disciplined when your desires take control

I want to be skinny - but won't be able to become that way if I give into my food temptations all the time.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

well at Galatians 5:22, 23 it shows us that self control as well as other divine qualities is something that given are is had by those in union or is following Gods direction. So yes

• 1 year ago

No. It takes will power to have self control.

• Kira
    1 year ago

Only for the weak minded.

1 year ago

I have an athletic body and don't fear any gods. I believe our behaviors are primarily genetic in nature.

• "Wanting to be skinny" can actually be a sin if it is for vanity reasons.

"Vanity is one of the three root sins that plague humanity. Much of our economy is built on vanity, on helping people to maintain the right “image.” Think of the money spent on cosmetics and trendy clothes and flashy cars and SUVs (complete with vanity license plates).

Like the other root sins, vanity springs from insecurity. We place our security in what others think of us. We constantly seek the affirmation, praise and respect of other people. We want to be seen as “cool.” Instead of focusing on Christ and letting him be the center of our concerns, we look to be patted on the back by others. “What will they think of me?” is a perennial concern of the vain person."

https://spiritualdirection.com/2011/01/06/how-can-...

• David
      1 year agoReport

Look at all the time you save but posting the same "one word" comment over and over... But I do have to ask you what makes anyone else an idiot if all you do is post the same thing over and over?

• SOJ
    1 year ago

I agree, the fear of GOD is the beginning of wisdom

• Caesar
    1 year ago

Some people need fear or some bribe to behave in a civilized way...other people do not need those to behave because they really got self-control of their acts

• 1 year ago

It's judgment of the pastor's wife that is important to be aware of.

• 1 year ago

If your so weak willed that you have to play silly mind games with yourself then sure.

1 year ago

Oh course not. Having manners does not require a fake god.