Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 11 months ago

is pork legal in Israel?

also do kosher restaurants in the united states serve pork? anyone know?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • TNO
    Lv 7
    11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yup.

It's just hard to get. A lot of restaurants and groceries in Israel are Kosher-conscious, and to comply you'd have to ban pork. Furthermore, of the ~20% of Israelis who aren't Jewish, about 80% of those are Muslim who also do not consume pork. While many Jews aren't the most religious and quite a few would be willing to consume it, few are willing to go out of their way to get it. It's only sold in certain shops that can do business without Kosher certification. If you want to find it, I'd look for communities that have high populations from the former Soviet block since they're likely not so religious and it was a part of their normal diet before they moved to Israel.

Edit: Kosher restaurants do not serve pork no matter where they are. They'll lose their Kosher certification the instant it's discovered. Restaurants owned by Jews and/or frequented by Jews may serve it, but remember not all Jews keep Kosher.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Israel is Jewish state. Pork is illegal, except illegally..... So, it is ILLEGAL Pagans........

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Yes!

• 11 months ago

not kosher-- end of story

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

how would i know?

• BMCR
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Addressing your second question:

Since pork is not kosher by definition why would it be served by a kosher restaurant anywhere?

As per your first question: Yes, but considering that most people who live there are Jewish or Muslim, it is quite uncommon.

• Nāga
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

I've seen bacon on menus in Eilat.

• Rico
    Lv 4
    11 months ago

Kosher reastauants don’t serve pork in the US, to do so is a violation of the laws pertaining to kosher food preparation.

• Dv8s
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Pork is legal in Israel, however it is illegal to farm or slaughter pigs in Israel. Pork isn't kosher, so a kosher restaurant wouldn't serve it, in the U.S. or anywhere.

• 11 months ago

It would be absurd to walk into a kosher restaurant and expect pork to be available.

I wonder if this question is attempting to falsely lead to "So why would you expect a Christian to bake cakes for gay weddings?"

IF SO... The error is this:

Kosher restaurants SUPPLY "kosher food". Anyone would reasonably expect to walk into a kosher restaurant, ask for, receive, pay and walk out with kosher food. It would be ABSURD to walk into a kosher restaurant and demand pork. Cry foul when pork is not even in the building.

Wedding cake bakeries SUPPLY decorated cakes. Anyone would reasonably expect to walk into a bakery who bakes then decorates wedding cakes, order a wedding cake to specs, receive, pay for, and walk out with said cake. It would be ABSURD to walk into a baker and expect a souffle. Demand a souffle. And cry foul when the bakery cannot supply a souffle.

If that was not your intent, then my apologies.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

you do realize that not everyone in israel is jewish or muslim?

• 11 months agoReport

because christian arabs and non-arab christians in israel probably don't care and eat pork

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.