May I ask a few questions about two of the Commandments?

Hello my friends, I was wondering a few things about the 2nd and 4th Commandments, no graven images, and the Sabbath...

About the 2nd... I am a model builder, I enjoy the hobby very much and I build all sorts of modes like vehicles, ships, aircraft, and others... when I build and paint these models kits or use balsa wood and other materials to create my own little things, am I breaking the Commandment by doing so?, what about when I assemble and paint the little figurine that often comes with them?

About the 4th, what counts as toiling on the Sabbath?, I know such things as cooking is toiling, but what about repair work on your home?, or cleaning?

Thank you my friends, may the Lord and Savior bless and keep you all.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

The desire to create is a God given trait. God created or organized the earth. God is a God of order. He creates relationships through covenant. Creating brings us joy. The reason ancient Israel was given the commandment to not worship idols is because it took them away from worshipping God. We should live a balanced and joyful life that includes learning, family, prayer, repentance, work, and wholesome recreational activities.

The purpose of the sabbath day is to rest from worldly cares and rejuvinate our spiritual health and relationship with God. It is a kind of recommitment and also witnesses our faith in Him. If your activities draw you away from the spirit of the day, then you will not receive the spiritual benefit of the sabbath. Without true sabbath observance, faith or our commitment to God, becomes weakened over time. Think of the sabbath as a tool to bring you closer to God.

• Hogie
    1 year ago

Those commandments are part of a covenant God made with ancient Israel. God did not make that covenant with you. Also, that covenant ended. The Sabbath was the sign of that covenant. No covenant, no sign.

I doubt there is a danger in you taking what you create and start worshiping it.

• 1 year ago

,No you are not......toiling is doing anything that is considered work that you can do on a different day

• 1 year ago

Romans Chapter 1 covers the "graven image" issue, and the Sabbath remains to be Saturday.

• 1 year ago

Just so you know, the Ten Commandments were part of a covenant that God made with the ancient Israelites and them only (Ex 19:3-8), never with any Gentiles (and they broke it anyway long ago; Jer 31:31-32). If you were a Gentile back then, and made graven images, God overlooked it (Ac 17:29-30).

"Graven images" has to do with making likenesses of false gods, or even God himself.

You can work all day any day you want. That Sabbath never applied to Gentiles. When Christians remember the Sabbath today, they think of the eternal rest God has planned for them in heaven (Heb 4:9).

• 1 year ago

Too many people have tunnel vision. You have to look at the context.

1) The prohibition is against *worshiping* graven images. Moses himself ordered that graven images be made to adorn the lid of the Ark of the Covenant.

2) And he said to them, “Which of you, having a son or an ox that has fallen into a well on a Sabbath day, will not immediately pull him out?” Luke 14:5

Doing what's necessary or pursuing a hobby isn't a violation.

• 1 year ago

In regards to the 2nd... it's not about having or making "idols", it's about NOT worshiping them. ("Thou shalt not have any FALSE idols before me.")

For the 4th... it says, "Remember the lords day and keep it holy". It doesn't say anything about not working or doing things what need to get done.

So all I can tell you is to do what most other people do, interpret them in a way which seems relevant to you.

• 1 year ago

Feel free to interpret them in whatever way you like. That is what most Christians do.

• Sean
    1 year ago

If you keep things in context, it is no graven images for worship. Even in the bible there are those who manufactured models, doors, and shapes of all kinds. God used them to build his first temple.

As for the Sabbath, we no longer need to follow the Sabbath, as it was a sign to us of Christ to come. He is the fulfillment of it as the bible says. Colossians 2:16-23 actually speaks directly about being restrained on these days.

You are not breaking either commandment by acting as you have been, but you are also not under that law. Christ has given you freedom from the law, and if you try to fulfill one part of it, you must fulfill all of it (some 600+ directives). If you fail at any one of them, the whole law is laid upon you in guilt.

I would -highly- suggest you read more of the bible and stay away from those trying to require you to perform some sort of legalism to attain self-righteousness. You know, we all sin, we all fall short of God? That was the purpose of the law and the sabbath and all the things contained in the law and prophets. It was to show us that we cannot be righteous. It's not possible. Sin is within us and even our best acts are not good enough. That is why we needed a savior. Hebrews lays out how Christ is our high priest, and he can go before God for our sins. It is in this, and only in this that we are righteous. If you want to celebrate the Sabbath, you can, but you are not required to. Everyday should be a time we observe God and the rest we are in, as he has already given us victory over death.

Please, continue to read your bible. Separate yourself from all influence and put God first. In doing so, you will grow to know what is required of you and what freedom you have! We are amazingly blessed! If you have further questions, feel free to email me.

1 year ago

You're not breaking the second commandment. They are simply models.

And the sabbath was only for Israel, and only during that time. The New Testament says there is no keeping of the sabbath for believers in Jesus..

And there's the thing.... the believer in Jesus is under grace, not under any of the law, not even the 10 commandments. We have grace and liberty, not law.

----

Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death.