Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 9 months ago

Can you disconnect 1 light fixture out of 2 in a small bathroom completely, safely? (I explain below)?

I got my first house and there are some things that freak me out about it.

One is that I have a light fixture, right next to the shower. It is definitely not meant for bathrooms, it's a bedroom light.

Every time I take a shower, I get scared of it.

There is a vanity light that is also next to the shower, but I am guessing it's for wet areas anyway.

Is there a way to disconnect all power (by the wire) from the ceiling light and just have it on the vanity? Are they usually connected on the same wire?

I don't need the ceiling light and later I will get a vanity light that takes more bulbs and that will make the bathroom bright

Best Answer

I don't think it's an immediate threat - but agree that it's too close to steam and splashes which will have a long term effect.

Suggestion: when you're ready to replace the vanity light with one you like, have an electrician install and properly disconnect the ceiling fixture. AND: the best thing we ever did was put dimmers on our bathroom vanity lights . . . we can turn-on full blast when you need to see what you're doing in the mirror, turn down a bit for regular use, and turn real low for those visits in the night !

• M.

Yes.

• elhigh

That fixture might be okay where it is. Open it up, if it's marked anywhere inside that it is okay for WET or DAMP LOCATIONS, leave it alone. But if it isn't, you can replace it. It's easy to do.

1) Determine which breaker turns the fixture's circuit off.

2) Remove the shades and bulbs from the fixture.

3) Remove the fixture from the wall. You might need to do a little exploring to find the screws but I assure you, they're there.

4) Procure a fixture that is marked for WET LOCATIONS. This means it will stand up to a spray of water directly on it.

5) Install it according to the directions. Consider using new wire nuts for the wiring.

6) Caulk thoroughly around its base.

7) Turn the breaker back on, install bulbs, and make sure you've got the cover on properly.

8) That's it. You're done.

This whole job can be done in under thirty minutes. Even if you're a complete newbie, you can have it done in an hour. This is easily within the reach of an amateur, you just need a screwdriver.

Good luck with it.

Why do you think it is unsafe? It's not going anywhere, and no bolt of lightening is going to fly out of it. And, many years ago plumbing was all copper which was grounded. Copper is too expensive now, so PCV and other materials are used. There are no grounds in bathtubs any more.

ordinary handyman task. take the fixture down and cap the hot lead behind it, then put the fixture back up

If both those lights are operated by one switch, then, instead of disconnecting the ceiling light, have a handyman or electrician, install a second switch, so each light is operated separately on its own switch.

This way, you use only the light you want, and in the future, a handyman or electrician won't have to be called out to reconnect the ceiling light, when you move out. (209D1)

Actually it may be completely safe, but as you're concerned I'd get a competent electrician to check it out. We cannot see the wiring from here.

Take the bulb off. Put a bad bulb on the socket. Saves you an electrician visit.

Removing the overhead light will create "ghosting" in your bathroom. You will freak out more when that happens.

I find it intriguing that my apartment building installed the same exact lights in the each unit's bathroom a few months ago.