Is Eric Johnson an underrated Guitar player?

everyone talks about Hendrix, EVH, Rhoads etc..

then Vai, Satriani, and Malmsteen and Becker.

Those instrumentalists have rock/classical influences.

EJ however is blues but has a Jazzy feel and the way he picks his notes and his tone is a huge part of his style. Like Cliffs of Dover who would have thought of something like that.

Favorite Answer

I love Eric Johnson and he is very underrated. I dont like Vai or SatrIani, while they are technically good, their playing lacks "feeling" of the music and they just ramble notes on the guitar. Another underrated guitarist is AL Dimeola.

• Mountain!!

He makes a lot of facial expressions, but never seems to be playing with the music. I admit, I may not understand what he is trying to do, all I can say is I don't like it.

• Andrew

The fact that one guitarist is not as well known as some others does not mean that the person is "underrated."

No one disputes the fact that Johnson is an incredibly talented and tasteful player. He simply doesn't appeal to as wide an audience as some other players.

The term "underrated" is overrated. Few people use it correctly.

Johnson has simply sold far fewer records than many of the other guitarists that you're comparing him to, and he's more melodic than he is rock or metal. Thinking man's guitarists are usually not as widely known as those whose music appeals to fans of more mainstream genres.

Speaking ONLY for myself .....

I get really burned out and so tired of screaming guitars. WAY TOO MANY of these guys to really appreciate all the noise. They are ALWAYS overbearing. Good or not. By the way, to this day there are very few who can match what Jimi Hendrix left us. He is still unique among many.

The Cliffs of Dover ? No doubt an outstanding work, and incredible playing. You ask :

"Like Cliffs of Dover who would have thought of something like that ?"

That would be Eddie Hazel. What ? No one ever heard of him ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKn33-q4Ao

Youtube thumbnail

Which by the way was recorded in 1971. Seeing Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover came out in 1990, I am betting Eric Johnson heard Maggot Brain many times. Could this be where he got his idea for Cliffs of Dover ? Hummmm ?

• mars

I think so. He has more respect than fame it seems. I've been inspired by his guitar playing, like Ah Via Musicom: https://youtu.be/a2-0oa3Y2EE

Youtube thumbnail

EJ is very famous professional guitar player

• Tony B

I think he s a great player but I don t see how he s "underrated" - it seems to me that he s rated very highly as a guitar player. Cliffs of Dover is a classic - it s been featured in "how to play" articles in more than one guitar magazine.

Some guitar players are flashier than others. Mark Knopfler, Keith Richards and Eric Johnson are guys you go for when tone and craftsmanship outrank volume and speed.