:) asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 years ago

How to prevent pressure in my ears when on a flight?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 5
    2 years ago

Get your eardrums pierced.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

First learn how to ask a question in English. "How to prevent something" is not a question. It's not even a sentence. "How do I prevent something" is a question and I shall have to assume that is what you actually wrote. Don't they even teach that in schools these days?

Once upon a time, airlines provided sweets to suck, which should help because sucking a sweet should make you produce saliva to swallow. Chewing gum does the same thing. If you can "pop your ears", try it, but it may be the variance in pressure that is causing the pain in the first place that prevents it even if you can do it normally. In which case, try a big yawn. If that still doesn't work, then unless you have a cold, do a Valsalva manoeuvre - breathe in, close your mouth and hold your nose, and attempt to breathe out HARD. That ought to do it. Just do NOT do this if you have any kind of infection in your head.

What's going on is you have a difference in air pressure between your outer and middle ears, and air can't get between the two because you have eardrums between them. You have Eustachian tubes that connect the back of your throat to your middle ears, and with those open, the air pressure either side of your eardrums is the same and all is tickety-boo. But with a rapid change in pressure as the plane goes up or comes down, the Eustachian tubes can squeeze themselves shut and then different pressure either side of your eardrums hurts.

So what all these ideas are designed to do is get those tubes open, and that's why the Valsalva manoeuvre is the last resort if nothing else works - it's rather the "brute force" approach to forcing some air up your Eustachian tubes! And as I say, don't do it if you have a head infection because it will blow the germs up the tubes into your middle ears, which you really do not want - now you have an infection somewhere it's hard to get at.

• Linda
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

Since the air plane cabin is pressurized.....there is no need for this anymore

• Todd
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Chew gum. Yawning on purpose works for some people. Most people can pop their ears on purpose, but some people can't. My dad gets ear infections when flying because he can't pop (acquire equilibrium) his inner ears.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • AG
    Lv 5
    2 years ago

Chewing gum helps. Or yawning can help.

• Orla C
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Special earplugs.

• WB
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Chewing gum helps some people.

• 2 years ago

Suck boiled sweets

• y
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

gum chewing, sipping on water throughout the flight and such. That is, unless you already have a head cold or something, then you are going to be in a world of hurt.

Swallowing is the key to equalizing the pressure.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Chew gum. Yawn a lot. Close you mouth and pinch your nose shut and "blow" / puff out your cheeks. This will equalize the pressure between your nasal cavity and your ears.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.