Is there a theoretical smallest physical size for a rocket that could achieve orbit?

• jehen

Yes, depending on the fuel, the engine and the payload. But I imagine at some point in the shrinking process a projectile that reaches orbit would be far more effective than a miniature rocket.

• Eric

There is no such thing as orbit. Explain how a vacuum can exist right alongside a self-contained system.

• Ozzie Klunk

You must be trolling so congrats to you for snaring me. The vacuum of space does not "exist right alongside" the Earth's atmosphere. And another thing: did you ever hear of gravity?

• Athena

Yes

Minimum orbital velocity is ~17,500 miles per hour. A minimal satellite such as Sputnik with a mass of ~25kg will need a kinetic energy of ½mV², so you could calculate the minimum amount of rocket fuel plus oxidizer in order to impart this kinetic energy to said satellite. I don't remember my Physics schooling enough to perform this calculation, but it is easy enough for one who is knowledgable in this area.

no. Hydrogen atoms manage to disperse outside the atmosphere all the time.

If there is, it would be smaller than the Pegasus launch vehicle.

However, no small sounding rocket has ever achieved orbit.