Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 8 months ago

My city is replacing old water meters. Where does the water meter have to be installed? I'm wondering if I can ask the installers to put it?

Wondering if the installers can put it in a different spot.

My water meter is the crawlspace. Far from the crawlspace door.

I never go down there because it's dirt floor and only 2 feet high.

So I was homing that they could install it closer to the crawlspace door so I can look at the numbers on it, to make sure the utility company doesn't over estimate my usage.

The meter is straight across from the crawlspace door, but about 20 feet from it. Can they install the new one closer?

Or do water meters have to go in a certain location of the pipe?

Best Answer

it is unlikely that they're going to let you choose. They'll choose the cheapest safe location in which to put it. Moving it for your convenience, if allowed at all, will be at your expense. And, since the workers are unionized, you can bet the charge will exceed 100 [pounds/euros] at least.

in my community, they are recessed into the front lawn about eight to ten meters from the center of the roadway.

meters in regular use won't freeze unless local winter temps go below -20 [c] or so.

when i did live in such a community [with serious winters] the meters had to be inside a structure but didn't require the structure be insulated. The utility changed to remote read meters while we lived there so they'd no longer have to gain physical access to the meter to read it.

replace is the word... they will put it where the old one is that they take out... hense the word REPLACE...

• John P

Ask the city authorities. They are the only people who know for sure.

They do not change the plumbing part of the meter in the crawl space. What they are changing is the meter outside the home. They take off the old meter which has visible numbers outside and replace it with an electronic black box which their gun can pick up as they drive by...or it may be transmitting to the water board...like the smart meters for the electricity. Usually the meter man comes out every second read to get the actual number and the other reading is an estimate(you may use less or you may use more) they catch the difference when they do the actual reading outside the house. So it is more than likely going in exactly the same spot as the former as the wiring is there. Mine looked like a car odometer measuring the miles (but gallons of water instead) .

So they never enter your house and just change the outer meter for a different kind. The readings even out in the end...mine is read every quarter so 4 times a year, but they actually come to check it 2 times a year. and estimate 2 times.

sadjnasd

• Jeff D

When utilities update water meters, it's usually to install meters that can be read remotely. Either with an outside jack that can be plugged into a 'meter reading' device, or with WiFi that can be read from the street. This reduces the expense of paying meter readers. They don't need to get into your home (for the former) or even out of their vehicle (for the latter).

If they can't move it, install a surveillance camera pointing at the meter, that can be turn on and off, with a built in light.

You can ask but if they are replacing them the updated ones are capable of sending the information electronically and are no longer read at the meter.

Ulan Bator has quite relaxed rules. If you live somewhere else you will have to ask the city.

all you can do is ask ..................................................