Is it my right to post up a negative review on Google Reviews?

I just ended a case with a business because they failed to provide me services. Up to the end they denied all allegations and proceeded to say that they provided the services. On top of them not refunding my 1000$ for a "File Destruction" (that never happened) - they also tried to bring me to court for:

1) Saying I didn't pay the full amount and I still owe them money. They put my debt to collections and the collection agency mailed me. They threaten me to pay an additional $300 or they will bring me to court.

(I have bank statements the prove I paid the full amount)

2) They accused me for Libel (Defamation) for posts on their google review page. They threaten to bring me to the superior court of justice if I don't admit to libel. I denied all allegations.

At the end of the day, they settled the case. I got my money back and they still denied any allegations that I've made till the end.

The settlement said I had to sign: "A written statement verifying that you did not write or induce another party to write any defamatory comments on social media or any publication and, should the written statement be proven false, you are liable for any statements posted to any social media or other publications"

Does this mean I cannot post my experience that I had with this business on Google Reviews? I have evidence, bank statements and documents to support my claim. I want to inform people who these guys are.

I'm from Toronto, Ontario. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Note that if you sign such an agreement, you are not agreeing to make no statements, just no defamatory statements. You may state the truth. They can try to sue you for defamation. The truth always wins in a defamation case.

• curtisports2

But, ask yourself if it's really worth the hassle. Is your desire to vent worth the potential trouble, in spite of having the law on your side in being able to post what is true, because you can't stop someone from suing you. And that will be a hassle even when you win.

When you signed the settlement, you EXPLICITLY WAIVED your right to post a negative review.

• curtisports2

No. That statement is meaningless. It says the person agrees not to make defamatory comments. The law already says you can't do that. They did not waive their right to make statements of fact. Words mean things.

It means you would be extremely foolish to post such a thing. Like super duper stupid.

• Ryan9 months agoReport

So I cannot post my experience ?

• Mog

Yep

• Ryan9 months agoReport

Yep? Even after we went to court and they denied everything?