Briana asked in PetsHorses · 10 months ago

My horse has been biting her flank and kicking alot, does anyone know what might cause this?

My 24 year old horse has typically been in very good health but for a while (around 4 months ago) I ve noticed her biting at her flank and when I circle her on the ground she kicks with her inside back leg every time. The vet has come to check her out but didn t seem overly concerned all he said was it may be an ulcer and that the only way to be certain was to have a procedure done (which he proceeded to tell me was expensive and not very necessary)Has anyone experienced similar issues with their horse or know what it could be?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Probably a belly ache. Most of mine do it if they eat something that doesn’t do well with their bellies. Have you switched feed or added anything to her feed?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

My pony does this flank biting and kicking with one hind every morning prior to being fed his breakfast. I think he knows he is about to be fed his grain and the stomach acid gushes in causing him an instant irritation. He paws the entire time he eats as well. It is his way...

• 9 months ago

Colic.

Impending birth.

Flies.

Presumably you would know if she's pregnant, and have eyes to check for flies and no see 'ums, particularly along the belly line.

That leaves you with colic. Check for other signs of colic, including taking her vital signs. If there is anything else indicative, call the vet. Some signs:

Restlessness and pawing at the ground.

Sweating and/or increased breathing rate.

Irritated kicking to the stomach.

Stretching as if to urinate.

Rolling or attempting to roll.

Elevated pulse rate.

Hope it's just flies.

• 10 months ago

Horse flies

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jeff
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Minor colic. Load her in your trailer and take her for a ride. If she poops she will feel better

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

These symptoms are typically associated with belly pain, which has a long list of causes. You need to have the mare examined carefully by a different vet, so that you can get a second opinion about what's going on.

• 10 months ago

something in there is causing her pain or severe discomfort. How about a second opinion from another vet not associated with the first vet?

• 10 months ago

It costs about $350 to have a horse scoped. Talk to your parents (Iguess you sound really young). If scoping her is not an option treat her as thugh she has ulcers. Stop feeding sweetfeed...the sugar irritates the gut. Switch to an easily digestable senior horse feed...make the change gradually over 2 weeks. Keep hay in front of her at all times. Buy an over the counter feed supplement for ulcers. They are better than nothing such as ugard etc. You simply follow the istructions and put the required amount of powder on the feed once or twice a day. 4 months seems like a long time to have a horse in pain because the vet seems to think she is too old and not worth treating the ulcers, and the owners are too cheap to take care of it.. weird.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

If this truly is an ulcer, most horse owners avoid the expensive test for ulcers and immediately start treatment with Ulcergard or a comparable generic. It needs to be given regularly and comes in a paste tube, like dewormers and you don't need a prescription for it.

You SHOULD probably have the horse checked by a vet anyway, these are not good symptoms and if you care for her, you need to take care of her pain. Bear in mind that 24 is getting up there in age and she will probably have increasing health problems with time. If you can't afford vet care, you really shouldn't be owning a horse.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

they have health ins for pets, rnaybe you should look into that so you can have her get checked

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.