chad asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 year ago

My mom is addicted to shopping. What should I do.?

For as long as I can remember my mom has been bringing bags of random crap home from thrift stores. This has amounted to 2 houses filled with crap and like 5 trailers filled with stuff. It’s actually unreal. My parents are not poor by any means, they are actually pretty wealthy, but my mom will rarely buy anything brand new, besides things like groceries and things like that, but she tries to get the cheapest things she can when we get groceries, like those 30 percent off enjoy tonight things. I actually don’t get it. Whenever I tell her to stop buying this stuff, she just brings home more. She acknowledges that she has a problem but doesn’t do a single thing about it. I can never have any friends over and I can’t live a normal childhood. My parents fight, physically and verbally about 6 days a week. They both have a problem. My dad also goes to auctions to buy used vehicles and has filled the yards with cars, but they are actually useful, and can be moved easily. Both my parents, especially my mom seem like they suffer from mental problems. My mom seems bipolar, being happy one second and screaming at the top of her lungs the next.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

You have to do what’s best for you and your sis. A sad part of growing up sometimes is dealing with the fact that sometimes adults are the ones acting immature and ridiculous. If it was me...and I say this carefully cuz I know it must be hard for you... I’d find someone to take you in elsewhere or go to child services... it’s the only way you’re gonna get out of that bad situation as it appears your parents just don’t want to change... whatever you do my heart goes out to you. I hope you find the answers uou need

• Foofa
    1 year ago

It does sound your mother could benefit from at least some talk therapy, if not medication.

1 year ago

I understand the partial logic that's behind your mom's actions, and I think you are too simple minded to be able to understand it.

The bad news is your mom is a hoarder, but the good news is that she knows how to save money, but because she is a hoarder then her being a hoarder prevents her from saving money.

1 year ago

i wouldnt bother rnentioning it, if she knows it bothers you she will do it even rnore

• 1 year ago

Your mother has at least one mental health issue: She is a hoarder. She may be bi-polar and abusing as well. You have to decide whether or not you are actually safe in this home or not. If you are not, then you need to tell a trusted adult outside of your family or call social services. Being removed from an unsafe home doesn't mean you will have to change schools.

Your parents need professional help. In all honesty, hoarders rarely get the on-going help they need to kick the habit. That noted, all you can do is love them and encourage them to get help. What you don't have to do is continue to live with them.

Good luck.

• 1 year ago

Make her smoke the whole pack. Then when shes finished make her smoke some more then make her smoke some cigars and a pipe. See how much fu.cking shopping she wants to do after that lot.

1 year ago

Move out of the house. Your problems with your parents will be over

• 1 year ago

I have threatened to call the police on them before and child services as I just want a normal childhood, but I don’t want to worry about switching schools and getting new friends. My mom is verbally abusive towards me and my sister and my dad used to be similar but in recent years he has actually tried to become a better parent while my mom has become worse. She constantly instigates fights with my father, and then just asks me and my sister questions about how my dad is a creep and stuff like that and leads the question to what she wants to hear, and she says that she doesn’t need a therapist because she has me and my sister. I am sick of living with her negativity. There is too much stuff to list though. Please tell me what I should do.