Should Christians drink alcohol and/or liquor?

I personally don’t think they should.

Favorite Answer

Now days, I would recommend against it. If you never drink, you never have to worry about the sin of drunkenness. But drinking in itself is not necessarily a sin.

I say "now days" because in Jesus' day, they used the alcohol in wine to make water safer to drink (ref 1Tim 5:23). They didn't know it was the alcohol, but they knew there was something in it. So "wine" was usually diluted with about half water. You had to really drink a lot if you wanted to get drunk.

Now with modern distillation and fortification methods, the alcohol content in wine and similar drinks far exceeds what they dealt with in ancient times. And clean safe water is usually very easy to find (especially in places like America).

In cases where somehow one's drinking can lead others to sin, they should not drink (Rom 14:21).

But one can't make a blanket prohibition against wine as that would be a doctrine of demons (1Tim 4:1-3). I like spicy cajun crawdads, and love jalapenos on my nachos. Similarly, some people prefer a little "spice" in their drinks that leaves a slight burn on their pallet. So it would be hypocritical for me to judge them on that as long as they didn't drink in excess and get drunk.

God doesn't condemn the drinking of alcohol, in moderation.

Jesus first miracle in fact was when he was at a wedding reception and they ran out of wine, so he turned water to wine.

John 4:46 "Then he came again to Caʹna of Galʹi·lee, where he had turned the water into wine. Now there was a royal official whose son was sick in Ca·perʹna·um."

The apostle Paul recommended Timothy drink wine for his frequent cases of stomach upset. Again,, this would be in moderation.

1 Timothy 5: 23 "Do not drink water any longer, but take a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent cases of sickness."

Wine, used in moderation, is a gift from God.

Ecclesiastes 9:7 "Go, eat your food with rejoicing, and drink your wine with a cheerful heart, for already the true God has found pleasure in your works"

Psalms 104:14, 15 " He is making grass grow for the cattle

And vegetation for mankind’s use,

To grow food from the land

15 And wine that makes man’s heart rejoice,

Oil that makes the face shine,

And bread that sustains the heart of mortal man."

The Bible does however condemn drunkeness.

Jewish Priests were even allowed to drink when not on duty.

Leviticus 10: 8-11 " Then Jehovah said to Aaron: 9 “Do not drink wine or other alcoholic beverages, you and your sons with you, when you come into the tent of meeting, so that you will not die. It is a permanent statute for your generations. 10 This is to distinguish between the holy thing and the profane and between the unclean thing and the clean, 11 and to teach the Israelites all the regulations that Jehovah has spoken to them through Moses."

1 Corinthians 6:9, 10 "Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters,cadulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, 10 thieves, greedy people, drunkards,h revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom."

Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a ridiculer, alcohol is unruly;

Whoever goes astray by them is not wise"

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/is...

Source(s): jw.org
  • BJ

Alcoholic beverages can be enjoyed by people who want to use them, in moderation and under control, usually without any ill effects.

But when they are used in excess, then this becomes an abuse of alcohol, which is harmful, even deadly, to the abusers as well as to others.

The fact that alcoholic beverages need not be condemned can be seen in the Bible. There God is spoken of as arranging a future time of happiness for mankind when, among other things, he will provide “a banquet of well-oiled dishes, a banquet of wine.” (Isa. 25:6)

Surely the Creator would not use wine as a symbol of happiness if it were an item forbidden to mankind.

Also, Jesus Christ made “fine wine” at a wedding celebration, showing that it can have its proper place.

• ?

No . We need to remain uninhibited by anything that causes us to not be able to easily change our brain's neuron connections into only having Godly habits , where we are to face and overcome all of our natural , instinctive negative feelings of guilt , fear , frustration , and sorrow SO that we don't enter into that place where Jesus said is weeping , wailing , and gnashing of teeth .

• Paul

Jesus did, so there is no reason why His followers shouldn't. He even used wine in instituting the central sacrament of His Church. Obviously, we should not ABUSE alcohol, or food, or sex, or money, or anything else.

• Old-un

Consuming alcohol is not wrong, getting drunk is.

The Bible doesn't say Christians may not drink at all. The Bible is clear that no Christian should be drunk with wine but be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Christians are free in Christ to eat or drink anything as long as their eating and drinking habits don't cause someone who is weaker to fall into sin.

Alcohol has never interested me. I am not that keen on the taste of it, and although I think a Shandi (beer with fizzy lemonade in) is very refreshing in the summer, I am not able to drink that because I am not permitted to have any wheat, oats, malt barley or rye in my diet and all beer contains barley and often wheat and other related grains also

• ?

Only when thirsty.

As long as it is within reason and doesn't lead to either sinful or shameful behavior I don't see why not. I don't drink alcohol but I won't be shoving it down anyone's throat. It is not those who are able to moderate their drinking and thus hold their liquor who are the problem. There are some benefits to it and it can be medicinal but I am better off without it and so might many many others, especially the ones who commit offences. As with most, if not all, addictions or addictive behaviors, it can be successfully combated.

Jesus LITERALLY turned water into wine.

Please reread the bible LMFAO