What is hydrostatic transmission?

In hydrostatic transmission gears are not required to transfer rotatory mechanical energy from one source to another.

Instead of using gears to transfer motion it uses hydraulic pressure via a pump and hydraulic motors. The big advantage is they are instantly controllable; reverse is just a valve shift away. When I was working our neighboring area had a two track snow cat (Pistenbully Scout, IIRC) with a hydrostatic transmission. The steering was kinda weird in reverse but it could turn without moving forward or backward. Just set the throttle high enough to provide the power the terrain needs and drive.

A transmission that uses fluid rather than a belt or other mechanism to transfer the energy from the engine into motion.

Quite literally what it says in the tin.

I didn't know this, I just Googled it.

I have a hydrostatic transmission on my big riding lawn mower. It has a pump that converts oil pressure into mechanical motion.