Did HRH know all along about Tony Blunt being a sketchy character?

....was she all like "the fourth man is coming over to look at my pictures!"

• Lili
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

She was apparently informed early on - actually, in 1964 -- that he had committed treason. The Queen's private secretary certainly knew, and it is inconceivable that she was not told.

Alan Bennett's interesting play, "A Question of Attribution," deals with this issue in an intriguingly delicate way.

I've said here before that he was a genuinely brilliant art historian. There were national security reasons that he wasn't publicly exposed until the late 70s, and in the meantime, he did very important work as a scholar. It doesn't compensate for his non-scholarly behavior, but it's the reason we were all so stunned when he was finally publicly exposed. I had a British art history professor who went so white when another professor told him that I thought he was going to collapse in a dead faint right in front of us.

1 year ago

The Queen is not HRH. She is HM her majesty.. Who ever is King or Queen is known as his or her majesty . All other members of the Royal family are HRH (his or her royal highness).

1 year ago

Art historian...sketchy character, I haven't stopped laughing for two days.

• ?
    1 year ago

this is a good question!

1 year ago

Almost certainly. He confessed to being a spy in 1964 in return for immunity from prosecution by the Douglas-Home government for at least 15 years. He had probably been acting for her father in the matter of recovering material related to Edward VIII's activities, and his work for MI5 would have been known. He had already been knighted for his work as an art historian and life went on. It was only after Baroness Thatcher got involved as it went public in the fallout from the Spycatcher debacle that it could no longer be ignored and the Queen (who is HM, not HRH) was obliged to strip him of his knighthood.