Were the Everly Brothers underrated?

I was thinking about it, yes there was Buddy Holly, Elvis, Chuck etc..

but not many mentions of the Brothers and boy do they deserve it in terms of rock n roll dominance.

I get it, the Beatles took over their light once the 60's and the Brit invasion came through.

But no one can match the harmonies of those brothers. Beach Boys, and Bee Gees tried.

Favorite Answer

Not at all. They were very good live & even better in studio. My wife & I saw them the last time they played in Calgary, & the quality of their vocals still amazed us. Of course, they were very influential on The Beatles, in songs like "I've Just Seen A Face" & "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party."

• Killmouseky

Forgot to mention: Listen to their song "On The Wings of a Nightingale", written for them by Paul McCartney, with guitars by him & Dave Edmunds. Find it on "EB 84", their reunion album.

• John

Their large fan base loved them. Others not so much. Like all musical acts.

• No they were not.

i love the everly brother they are very popular music group from the late 50's and was still popular on the 60's also.

i have one of their live concerts 1982 on dvd and you can watch how many people love the everly brother after all these years. this band before my time but i love everything about them.

• Tony B

No they weren't “underrated”. They were very, very, popular and VERY highly “rated”. They influenced lots and lots of people including The Beatles.

No

They're not Buddy Holly. They're not the Beatles.

They're followers.

They were good, yes.

But they never really captured an audience or fan base -- maybe a bit too "clean" in an era when Rock and Roll was full of "bad boys". On top of which, they kind of became notorious in the music business for one or more songs that could be considered "stolen" from the actual writers. So, maybe jealousy was a factor at the time, and it has lasted.

Anyways, they did make it into the RnR hall of Fame (1986) and the C&W Hall of Fame.(2001) (and more) for their contributions.

• Jay R

Meh.