What's the worst interview you've done?

How did the whole experience play out? I'll start off with mine:

A year or two ago I applied for a job as a customer service representative at this new upcoming company.

I quickly find out two things when I did an interview.

One: its a group interview, and two: Turns out its a direct marketing company, and they were looking for me to be a salesman, something that was NOT made clear online.

Interviewer drove me to a Best Buy several blocks down the street where I had to find an item under $30 in the store, then having to repurpose it as a different product, then draft out an entire business plan around said the item. I had no idea what I had no clue how to answer the questions he asked me. I just felt dumber and dumber as I began fumbling and stuttering whatever answer came to me.

After two awkward conversations later, he finally goes into the spiel about how great the company is. He lists all the benefits: That it's easy to move up in positions, that they help sell products for companies, that a lot of money can be made within your first few weeks, the harder you work the more money you make.

At the end of the interview he asked if I had a Uber ride coming, he'd be staying at the store to work at the kiosk. I didn't.

But I just wanted to ditch him as soon as possible, so I told him I did and got out of there.

I would elaborate, but apparently, this site has a limit on how much explaining you can do.

• RICK

A couple years after retirement I wanted to go back to work part time/on call. The interview went great, I passed the knowledge test, I was on my way out the door when someone else (a friend of mine) stuck his head in the office to say hi and asked me about my trips overseas, without thinking I said, "just got back, don't have another one planned until next year", he left, I noticed the look the interviewer was giving me and I said " Guess you want somebody for longer then a year". He goes "Yea, you would have been a good fit but....."

Only job interview in my life I was not offered the job

On the other hand, way back in HS I drove into the local Mom and Pop gas station and convince store. It was a self serve station, I was almost done pumping my own gas when the owner walked out, Remember small town, everyone knew everyone)I jokingly asked "Ned, when you going to hire some decent help" He replied "When can you start"..Best interview and in many ways best job I ever had

• I'm a loser that memorizes the top 50 answers to questions they could ask me such as What are you weaknesses? What makes you unique? Provide an example of a time you made an unpopular decision? etc.

The one time I didn't prepare answers I stumbled and was awkward the whole time - I still got the job I think it was because it was retail and they recognized I was a teenager.

The second one I made a joke at the first interview when they mentioned a criminal background check and they did not find it funny in the slightest even though I was obviously some innocent nerdy dweeb. They called me back a second time and I was excited only to walk into a room of 50 PEOPLE being interviewed in groups of 10. The lady interviewing us this mentioned she HATED people and rarely allowed her husband and kids to talk to her during week days she then went around the room criticizing each of us and demanding why we thought we were qualified for the role when we were ''lacking'' so much.

THEN on top of that I wrote down an email on my phone she told us to look at after the interview to send an essay on why we wanted the job. I was really stupid and put it in the notepad app on my phone. I was unsure if I typed it in properly so I asked the girl next to me. She paused upon looking at my screen, stuttered, then said yeah it was fine. It was only after the interview I realized I had typed the email BELOW MY GROCERY LIST which included lube, lingerie, condoms, and sex toys (I was in my first relationship don't judge guys lol) and this girl had seen all of that. I did not get the job. HA!

• Verity

I interviewed for a job with a religious-based nonprofit agency. I REALLY wanted this job. Well, until the

interview, anyway.

My first impression was one of immense darkness. Although this was a summer morning, the light-cancelling

drapes on every window made it look as though it was midnight.

My first encounter was with the "benefits coordinator", who couldn't tell me a thing about the benefits offered--not even the name of the health care provider, only that the benefits were "very good". I suggested a few possibilities, feeling like a game show contestant. She denied them all.

Next, I met with the IT director, who told me they were about to use a new computer system. I asked what system that might be, and he told me they hadn't yet decided, but wanted me to be tested in the current one.

I innocently asked why that would be necessary, in that it would be obsolete by the time I started, should I get

the job. He couldn't answer.

I really, really, wanted this job, but cut the interview short after two hours of talking to people who could tell me nothing. I don't regret walking out.

A stress interview with Shell oil many years ago where they try to get you flustered and they did in spades.

Well, I've been the one on the other side of the desk for 30 years. I've certainly interviewed some memorable applicants. Let's see...

There was the woman who was fired from her last job for sexual harassment. Her explanation was that she was sleeping with her married boss, his wife found out, he broke it off with her and then fired her for sexual harassment.

There was the one who replied to the ad (for a veterinary receptionist) with her resume AND a naked selfie of herself showing all her tattoos and piercings.

There was the one who said he had lots of experience "being an office desk" (and it was written that way on his resume too). I was tempted to ask him if he was an experienced mime but I thought it might go over his head.

There was the 7 foot tall one with a super mean face and aggressive body language. Half the interview I worried he was going to leap over the desk and beat me up for no reason.

There was the one who yammered on incessantly and picked up on ZERO social clues including my standing up and holding out my hand at the 90 minute mark. I finally got rid of her at the two hour mark.

There was the one who seemed pretty normal but when I called her prior employer he was SHOCKED that she put him down as a reference. It was a family owned trucking company and she had just gotten out of jail for embezzling over 100k in a matter of months. I'll never forget him saying, "And I met her AT CHURCH!"

And now for my all-time favorite. I was interviewing a veterinarian. I asked him if he liked birds. He said, "Sure, with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy."

• ?

It was a second interview. I had already passed the first one and got called in for another. Cool, except I had gotten called and offered another job 10 MINUTES before the interview started (I got called in the parking lot, LOL) that I had applied for that paid less, but was closer to my home and the benefits were way better. So I was completely mentally absent during the whole interview because I had already landed something else. She had to repeat questions because I was not paying attention at all.

Needless to say, I didn't get called back.

I had a three sentence interview for a sales job. Interviewer said what can you do for the company? Being confident, I said what can the company do for me? He said, Interview is over.