Saw a responder here earlier today who said their water WELL was a horizontal hole in a rock face - how does that even work?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Best Answer

taps into an aquifer layer [likely a tilted one] inside the hillside

• 6 months ago

Underground rivers are at the bottom of a hill, Drill horizontal to access.

• Bill
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

many early miners were drowned when they drilled into an under ground stream

it is possible that the well is drilled into a rock face that has a stream somehere behind it or the drilling was following a spring that ran down the side of the rocks

• 6 months ago

Yes, I saw that too. Most interesting. I'd guess that the well collects the water that trickles down through the rock. You could probably get the same water out of the ground after it has trickled all the way through the rock and then into the ground, but I bet you'd have to drill a much deeper and more expensive hole.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • C
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

English may not be their first language. Plenty of languages make no distinction between a spring and a well so unless they had a specific reason to learn it wouldn't occur to them that the two are considered quite distinct in English. They probably meant a spring.

• C
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I was just thinking allowed. Are we going to track down the commenter and interrogate them? I work with a lot of people who have English as a second language and there are often misunderstandings when one word covers different groups of things.

• 6 months ago

Artesian, maybe.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.