Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

How do I act like a proper college student?

I'm 19 years old (legal drinking age in Canada) and I attend a university that's pretty well known across the nation for its party culture. I'm a straight A student, school athlete and I've got plenty of friends, but more often than not, I find that at parties or the clubs I'm off to the side standing there awkwardly, even when I've had a bit to drink. I'm always nervous of being judged for dancing or anything like that. I guess my question to the community is "how do I stop caring so much and enjoy my college life?" Everyone else seems to figure it out. I'm a decent looking dude (not shattering any records here, but attract my fair share of women) and I've got plenty of money to support whatever fun my friends and I are up to. I've got the academics and athletics figured out, but I find I'm not enjoying college. How does everyone else loosen up to go wild at the club?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

The smart successful people don't waste their time partying they study and in their spare time they figure out how to make money, improve their resume, for their future. Losers party, fail their classes and end up dropping out or not building their future.

• John
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Are you a submissive female if your not a submissive female you really can't go to college in Canada.

• 6 months ago

The point of college is to get grades and experiences to get a great job or admission to law, medical or other graduate school. Partying is secondary. Don't worry about things other than what's in my first sentence.

• 6 months ago

Stop using booze to bolster your self-confidence in social situations.

1. Don't go clubbing alone. Join up with a couple of friends, or ask a date to go with you.

2. Participate more in campus activities to meet more people, make friends over time. Then go with a group or date to clubs.

You have unrealistic expectations of going to clubs, and spoiling things for yourself because you're doing things backwards!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

I would recommend avoiding the party scene, and finding a group of people with the same attitude. Not everyone is a party person (I never was), and you shouldn't try to force yourself to do something which makes you uncomfortable.

Some colleges have student organizations for just the situation you describe. They organize non-drinking get togethers and activities for those who want to socialize on Friday or Saturday night, but who don't like the party scene. If there is no such student organization on your campus, you might want to check into starting one.

• Squid
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

There's no such thing as a "proper" college student. Just be yourself.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Why do you have to "go wild"?

You may need to improve your social life, but perhaps the party culture just isn't the best way for someone like you to do it. Find other ways.

People are different. That's the way the world is supposed to be. Why don't you look into clubs and activities as the way for you to socialize, instead of drink-til-you-drop partying? You don't have to change who you are to "enjoy" college life, you just have to understand that there's more than one way to do it.

• drip
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

So this just isn’t you. Why do you need to get drunk or change who you are.

Going wild at a club usually means getting wasted and doing something you will regret later.

Why is going to a club the only way you can enjoy college life?

• 6 months ago

You will figure it out with time. Just don't stress over this petty matter.

• 6 months ago

Open up more. Live in the moment.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.