Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 year ago

Should running my first 1/2 Marathon be a big deal to my mom?

I've been running for 4 years and it's vastly improved my life and energy. No, I'm not looking to become a pro runner and won't make money from it - but it's a great personal achievement. I've finally decided to run my first 1/2 marathon later this year and have a lot of support from my friends/co-workers

HOWEVER, My family - namely my mom- doesn't support me at all in my fitness journey. She never asks about my running/training and would never even think about going to one of my races. I sorts of try to talk to her about my running, then she just changes the subject like I'm talking about the weather.

I know it's not my career, but shouldn't my mom be excited for me or even have a little support for my goals?

She doesn't have anything I can support her in (in comparison to do the same). She just works and watches TV and has no hobbies, so I'm not able to connect with her about anything she's "into".

Should I not even bother telling her about my upcoming running challenges or tell her and see what she says?

• Rick
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm guessing she's a bit envious of you because she knows she should be exercising but isn't. That would explain why she shuts you down quickly by changing the topic. It's something she doesn't want to deal with.

Remember that you don't need her approval or encouragement. It would be nice to have but she can't do that for you when it comes to your running success.

Good luck with the 1/2 marathon!

• Foofa
    1 year ago

This may be partly generational as running for pleasure wasn't as mainstream when your mom was a kid. But I'm in a similar boat as I regularly run charity races. I'm an adult and I don't expect my parents to show up at every event. You may just have to accept that this is your own personal thing and that Mom's just not interested. But good luck on the run.

• 1 year ago

She either does not care or does not say anything for fear of you stopping, so just let it be I guess.

• Eva
    1 year ago

Stop looking to her for validation. You're not going to get it. It's disappointing, but some parents are like that. Good luck with reaching your goal. There's a lot of personal satisfaction in doing something that challenges you.

• 1 year ago

rnaybe shes jealous cause she cant run like that

• 1 year ago

Well doesn't really sound like you need her encouragement, I'd go ahead and tell her but expect more of the same from her ie apathy. You could just flat out ask her why she seems to be so against running but you may just have to keep doing this without her encouragement. I guess she thinks your time would be better spent on other stuff though this sounds like a great hobby to me.