Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 year ago

Should I throw away my friend's jacket since we don't speak any more?

I have a friend from another country - who really isn't my friend any more. We haven't spoken in nearly 2 years because I can't deal with her drama (she visited me in the states and went to meet up with various men when she visited here a few times).

We are totally different people and she's very toxic/needy, so I've told her I need some space from our friendship.

However, she left a jacket in my closet and it's taking up space so I'm thinking of just donating it.

If I send it back to her by mail, it'll possibly give her a reason to write or text me and I don't want to hear from her ever again.

It does belong to her and I respect other people's belongings, so should I not worry about her asking me for it in the future and just give it away already?

1 year ago

Throw it away, or donate it. If there's a homeless camp near you, leave it there. That way, somebody who needs a coat, can have one for free.

• Steve
    1 year ago

TWO YEARS in the closet? Do what you want with it. She has forgotten all about it. Donate it to a worthy cause. IF she ever calls about it, all you need say is "Nope, there's no jacket like that here." And that's the truth.

• Toby1 year agoReport

Hey that’s less time than John Travolta had spent there

• susan
    1 year ago

No.

• steve
    1 year ago

I think she obviously doesn't care about it and possibly doesn't even remember it. So donate it somewhere.

If she contacts you and says where is my jacket you just say in two years you haven't been bothered so I thought you didn't want it so I gave it to a charity.

• Cara
    1 year ago

She'll come back for it if she wants it, so I certainly wouldn't send it. I'd pack it up into a bag or box and put it away somewhere out of sight and out of mind for a bit longer. After another year or so, donate it.

• 1 year ago

i would just send it back to her, you cant just donate sornething thats sorneone elses

• 1 year ago

If the situation was reversed, would you want your clothing returned to you? Answer that question and you will know what to do with the jacket.

• drip
    1 year ago

Mailing a jacket from the US to another country is going to cost you quiet pricey. I would not spend the money to send it back to her.

If you have had no contact at all in two years, donate the jacket.

If she wanted it back she would of told you months ago.

It is going to cost you at least $44 to ship it to her

https://www.usps.com/international/priority-mail-e...

• Orla C
      1 year agoReport

I agree with this. She would have contacted you already if she wanted it back.

• 1 year ago

Mail it back to her. I think thats the right thing to do. I try to avoid toxic pdople the same way you do by avoiding them but we are still commanded to love our neighbor as ourself. So the right thing to do is give it back snd if she writes you just be nice and let her know why you wanted space in your friendship or you dobt have to respond if you dont feel lef to

• Edna
      1 year agoReport

Do you have any idea of how expensive it would be for the OP to mail that old jacket overseas? It's been hanging in the OP's closet for 2 years! The OP should just donate it to Goodwill and have done with it.

• 1 year ago

Yeahh just donate it