In the bible why does Jesus say that the elect cry out to God day and night? How can you cry out to God in your sleep?

• Hal
    Favorite Answer

"day and night" only means when awake of course. :-)

But notice how the context makes it different:

1 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’

4 “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’ ”

6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly...."

------------

So, this is only meant to tell us to continue to pray when we have a problem that continues. To not give up.

One thing that would help most in prayer is to learn more about exactly how to pray that Christ said. Many know little He said about how to pray in the gospels.

• Paul

It doesn't say "in your sleep".

How does "night" equate to "sleep"? This is obviously a figure of speech called hyperbole. Your bible has many such figures of speech.

• Ambar

“…will not God cause justice to be done for his chosen ones who cry out to him day and night …” (Luke 18:7, 8)

We must persevere in prayer. We can pray to God anytime and anywhere. There is no limit on how often to pray, God encourages us to be patient, keep asking, don’t give up.

“Keep on asking, and it will be given you.”—Luke 11:9

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time.”—1 Peter 5:6

Learn more about the importance and benefits of prayer, how to pray and be heard by God, what prayers God accepts and which prayers he does not, in the following link (scroll down to the section on prayer) …

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/ab...

• David

I would think the elect is more than one and some cry out during the day and some at night....

"Day and night" does not necessarily mean "24 hours a day constantly without stopping".

Are you saying that none of the elect ever cried out at night? That all of the elect were always sleeping all night long?

• yesmar

Revelation is coded symbolism. Quit trying to read it as literal, it will make no sense whatsoever.

Source(s): Jesus follower
  • ronald

Many times, almost every night, I wake up.

When I do I praise the Lord and ask him for peace.

And I praise the Lord through out the day every day.

Just because it's night does not mean you are asleep, brainiac

we notice u give no refs...IF U HAVE BIBLE REFS WITH LOCATION PLZ LIST THEM...BIBLE IS A HUGE BOOK...trinity pastors and SCHOLAR BIBLES

(When yesmar mentioned Revelation--THEY'RE DEAD. The souls crying out to God are deceased. Sleep n/a.)