Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 year ago

Why do teenagers do dumb things?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

Bcaus the brain is not fully developed till 25 ish fun fact and also bcaus they don't have the benefit of experience which would/should tell them that's not a good idea/thing to do/say/try

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • bubba
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

Coz they watch their parents too much

• 1 year ago

Simple. Our brains are still developing until age 21, and coincidentally people under this age are in their teen years.

This is why 21 for hundreds of years in literally every civilised country was the age of adulthood and the voting age, and why it is still the age for pretty much every adult right.

Source(s): 19 year old teenager
  • 1 year ago

YOur brain is actually still growing until you are around 25 years old. Before that, it's natural for people to try things out thatthey haven't done before. Sometimes that goes well, and other times it is a disaster. Often, they do not understand all the possibilities if they do something, and that's when bad things happen. It's a matter of brain maturity and experience- but without the brain development, none of the experimentation will result in someone being any wiser.

Ultimately, teens are supposed to be a little wild, and try things out. That is why you are generally not put in charge of anything that can do much until later. That's why the drinking age is 21.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

New to this place called earth.

Introduction to this place called earth.

• Fred
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

It is because their brain has not yet fully developed especially the area where we think through the consequences of our actions especially in boys. Teenage boys do the stupidous things and quite often only think of the consequences after they have been caught or hurt themselves. That is why males under 25y/o are expected to pay such high insurance costs on their cars as they are the ones who drive stupidly and have the most accidents. I have known a couple young guys who have wrecked 4 cars before they were 20y/o.

They have studied brain development in MRI scanners and found brains take to something like 23 years of age before they stop developing.

• 1 year ago

Well in my opinion this question is stupid. I could the same about another age group. For example why are elderly so butter? Generalising a whole age group is ridiculous. We are all different individuals. Just because you see most of them being stupid doesn't mean all teenagers do dumb things.

But honestly, I think that it's because some teenagers are influenced easily. The people they're surrounded by, the place they grew up in and what they're exposed to. There are many factors that creates a character. For teenagers, let them do stupid things so they can fall and get back up. Teenagers have yet to live their lives properly (since most of them have been in a school for their whole lives) so they'll do some stupid things.

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

well they can

• 1 year ago

They are impulsive and headstrong, a very bad combination. I know I was when I was a teen, that's for sure. Thought I knew everything and didn't care about anything in the slightest. Luckily, MOST grow out of it.

• Uri
    Lv 4
    1 year ago

Their brain is not yet fully developed

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.