Best way to fix old power cable?

I got this old drill press and the 15ft power cords sheath is cracked to hell. Is shrink tubing a dumb idea, should I just buy another cord, or is there a better way to fix it. It s three wire and about 3/8" thick all together.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

No shrink tubing (you're as bad as me!). Go out and get a new cord,

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

You can get the right wire at Home Depot. Plus a plug. It might cost you $10-15.

• roger
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Just patching it is not good -- the inner rubber or plastic insulation on the core is most likely also cracking.

You need to change the entire code. Not expensive. The way i do that is to get a #12 extension cord and cut off the female end and wire it to the motor switch. That way you have a nice male end to use.

• John
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Open up the drill press to where the cord is connected to the machine. This should be obvious. Buy an extension cord of the proper gauge - not a cheap one. Cut off the female end, strip the wires and hook it up just like the old cord was, including the fixture that clamps the wire at the case. Done.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Just buy a new cord an plug.

• 2 years ago

just buy a new one ... that's the safest by far. 10/2 with ground is probably thick enough but read the wattage rating of the drill press and then talk to the sales staff about what you need.

frequently, one cheap way is to buy an appropriate for the power required extension cord of proper length and cut the female end off -- then wire it into the device in the same way the present one is wired up.

Source(s): grampa
  • ?
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

buy a new power cord , If it is cracked it i not safe

• hooray
    Lv 5
    2 years ago

Once any part of a cable begins to perish it's time to replace it. Also never reuse cable unless it's been in your possession from new, as degradation isn't always obvious.

• 2 years ago

Replace the cord. It's not that expensive and you'll be safe.

• 2 years ago

Replace the cord.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.