my employer has been telling me for years that our panic button is a silent alarm, however today I found out its not. is this legal?

I have been with my current employer (as a gas station supervisor) since december of 2017 and the company since august 2015. Because i have experienced armed robbery in the past, and do lone night shifts regularly, i do tend to take security matters fairly seriously. we have a "panic button/silent alarm" that resides near our paypoint, and the boss expressly refers to it as our silent alarm. Today, our alarm went off during the day, for what the on-shift staffer said was " no reason", and was unable to get in touch with our manager. He (the staffer) also informed me that it had a blaring siren that flooded the entire property when it went off. i contacted him(the manager/owner) when i started my shift and he informed me that the staffer had accidentally hit the "silent alarm. it seems to me that if its going to make noise, especially from a bullhorn, then it should have never been referred to as a "silent alarm". couldnt find any information on the issue through google, and I'm just curious if this is legal for safety reasons ( the misrepresentation of the panic button as a silent alarm)?

Favorite Answer

You probably don’t have a case against your employer. The button could become misconfigured after a power outage or maintenance being done on the system. Your employer may have some sort of recourse if the company who services the alarm didn’t set the system up properly and the alarm failed to perform properly during an emergency, even more so if it caused harm to people.

The best course of action is to bring it to his attention, and if he doesn’t fix it after saying he will, then you may have a case if there was an incident in the meantime. Give him a chance to fix it before threatening him.

• A Hunch

The button CANNOT become misconfigured. The wiring would not even be connected to the horn. The dude (and you) don't even know how commercial / residential alarms works. He has no recourse against the employer.

Your co-worker DID NOT SAY he accidentally hit the "panic button." He said it went off "for no reason".

Most alarms have two features

- the panic button is a silent alarm that contacts the alarm company and emergency services.

- if someone breaks into the business when the alarm is on, the alarm is a bullhorn.

Based on what your co-worker said, we can surmise that something caused the break-in feature to activate.

I'm Anthony Scaramucci.

Stop whining. If you're concerned find another job.