My employer has been telling me for years that our panic button is a silent alarm, however today I found out its not. is this legal?

I have been with my current employer (as a gas station supervisor) since december of 2017 and the company since august 2015. Because i have experienced armed robbery in the past, and do lone night shifts regularly, i do tend to take security matters fairly seriously. we have a "panic button/silent alarm"... show more I have been with my current employer (as a gas station supervisor) since december of 2017 and the company since august 2015. Because i have experienced armed robbery in the past, and do lone night shifts regularly, i do tend to take security matters fairly seriously. we have a "panic button/silent alarm" that resides near our paypoint, and the boss expressly refers to it as our silent alarm. Today, our alarm went off during the day, for what the on-shift staffer said was " no reason", and was unable to get in touch with our manager. He (the staffer) also informed me that it had a blaring siren that flooded the entire property when it went off. i contacted him(the manager/owner) when i started my shift and he informed me that the staffer had accidentally hit the "silent alarm. it seems to me that if its going to make noise, especially from a bullhorn, then it should have never been referred to as a "silent alarm". couldnt find any information on the issue through google, and I'm just curious if this is legal for safety reasons ( the misrepresentation of the panic button as a silent alarm)?