Can my Landlady increase the rent by $300? (British Columbia)?

I moved into an apartment with a friend a few months ago. He d been there since about 2015 and was paying $950 a month for rent. He recently decided to move out, and when talking to the Landlady she told me the rent was going to be increasing $300, to $1250, because he was moving out and had been grandfathered in.... show more I moved into an apartment with a friend a few months ago. He d been there since about 2015 and was paying $950 a month for rent.

He recently decided to move out, and when talking to the Landlady she told me the rent was going to be increasing $300, to $1250, because he was moving out and had been grandfathered in. Is this legal? I ve got a lot of people telling me it s sketchy and others saying it s flat out illegal.

If it is, is there a place I can contact about it?
Update: For the record my name went onto the lease when I moved in at the start of March, I'm not filling anything out to keep the apartment just to get a new roommate. I just wanted to check if what she was doing is indeed legal, as I've had my parents and a few co-workers say she can only increase the rent a... show more For the record my name went onto the lease when I moved in at the start of March, I'm not filling anything out to keep the apartment just to get a new roommate. I just wanted to check if what she was doing is indeed legal, as I've had my parents and a few co-workers say she can only increase the rent a small amount per year, as someone else mentioned, about $150 over the duration.
11 answers 11