Why won`t my laptop boot up or let me type?

I have a Gateway laptop running Windows 8.1. The other day I was feeding my infant while reading stuff online, and she spit up quite a bit all over the keyboard. I wiped it up as best I could and removed some keys to wipe up under them. It dried and continued to work fine. The next morning most of the keys had stopped working so I used an external USB keyboard. By the evening the laptop refused to boot up, staying at a black screen. I managed to get to safe mode, but at the log in screen the password bar is completely full of characters and it won't let me erase them or type anything even with the USB keyboard. I have no windows boot disc or usb drive to boot from, and any repair option I try requires my windows log in, which I am unable to do. I have accepted that I will probably need a new laptop but I would like to recover certain data on this one. Any idea what the issue is or how to get in, barring removing the hard drive or taking it to a repair service?

Best Answer

You need to clean it of all contaminants,

• katskradle

I guess this was the best answer. I left it alone for a few days after cleaning and I guess it dried out enough because it is now working again. Except the backspace key which is annoying AF.

Take the laptop to a tech. It may only need the keyboard replaced.

• katskradle

I did that just before posting this. They said the hard drive was dead and would not be worth replacing as it would cost the equivalent of a new laptop. And it turns out they were wrong as it is now working again, and is where I am writing this comment from.