Why does my garage have a wire coming out of it to the outside wall and hangs on a wood trellis?

I just got a house and the detached garage has a 240V outlet inside it.

On that wall of the outlet, on the outside, there is a wire that is coming out and it is attached to a wood trellis (for flowers).

Did they do this to make sure the outlet is grounded?

Does this mean that the outlet itself is not a good outlet? Or is it just a precaution, like a back up?

I did have a licensed home inspector do an inspection before I bought the house. He never mentioned the wire. I found it months later.

It seems like it is just for backup because there is a 240v outlet in the garage and maybe the wire is just extra security. The outlet is grounded. But then I saw the wire, so wondered what it was for.

• Anna E
    Favorite Answer

Honestly, I would have an electrician out to look at it. If you had a home inspector look at the house, he should have caught this.

Some sort of cob job. Remove it and a wood trellis is not used for grounding.

• drip

Didn’t you have a home inspection?

Ask your real estate agent to ask the prior owners

you need at least a handyman to look at it and tell you what he thinks. my guess would be it is the lead for some outdoor appliance [hot tub?] that did not come with the house. Another possible is that it is for a backup generator [that you did not get] and the plug end was removed.

note that if this was for a hot tub, it was wired incorrectly. Electrical code requires a shutoff [disconnect] within easy sight of a hot tub. This is frequently either a simple switch in a weatherproof box, or a breaker in such a box. {The hot tub service guy uses it to makes certain power is off before he works on the tub -- this to prevent electrical shock.}

Source(s): grampa

Sounds like an incomplete cycle. Specifically, where does the wire come from?

No. That wouldn't functionally ground the outlet and wouldn't be legal even if it did.

Based only on your description NO ONE can determine the purpose, if there actually is one, of the wire.