Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

How to stop my neighbour from being a nuisance to my dogs?

We rent a house, all sides except for the right side, are all privacy fenced. The right side is a chain link fence.

My dogs are trained to come, hush, and to accept boundaries. That means my dogs won’t hop a fence, and won’t jump on a fence.

I’m always outside with my dogs, but my partner has mobility issues and his dog is sometimes out for 2 minutes to pee alone. He can’t go down stairs.

My two are only ever out if I’m outside.

My dogs are trained to ignore fences, not to react to anyone on the other side etc.

There’s a sweet old lady, who is lonely. She has now begun to peer over the fence and talk to the dogs, then panic and get fussy with us when they bark. The only dog that barks loud is my partner lab, my collie will bark maybe twice because the lab barked, and my husky just follows to see what they’re doing, no barking. We then recall them and scold the lab for barking

She is for some reason, doing it often. With me outside.

I have tried to talk to her, but she cannot hear well, and I stutter when talking to people I am not familiar with, so she can’t understand a damn thing I’m doing.

I’m getting annoyed. I am debating leaving her a letter, but I don’t want her to feel like I don’t like her and don’t want to talk to her, it’s just awkward.

Would it be worth it to ask my landlord to handle her?

What else should I try to do?

I already try to steer them away but that’s the half of the yard that their kiddie pool is and i want them to be allowed to play.

Why not try to approach it the other way? You could introduce the dogs to her, get her to give them snacks, and let the dogs get to recognise her. Over time when she peers over the fence the dogs will react positively. She'll probably love it, you get to check in on an elderly neighbour and keep things good between you, and you hopefully solve the problem.

• OogieBoogie4 months agoReport

She says theyre "scary" all of the time by simply existing, I would not trust her to meet them. Idk what she will pull.

Do NOT involve the landlord, unless you intend to move out and tell him the neighbor next door is riling up the dogs and WILL NOT leave them (or you) alone. (I doubt it has gotten to that point.)

As David has suggest, try to compose a nice letter and o explain you are writing due to a stutter - which makes it hard for you to be understood. Yes, she is hard of hearing (but we are NOT going to mention that part.)

So..... you need to explain that if she would NOT peer OVER the fence the dogs would not bark AT her. They are startled & the Lab is somewhat protective and once he starts, he sets off the others. If she wants to meet the dogs, then you need to arrange a meeting in your home when your partner is handy and she can be seated, and you can bring the dogs out, on leash. Give her your phone number or your address to write back, if she wants to do that.

If all else fails, ADD something solid, to the top of the fence on your side to block her view. (Just as you would, if you wanted to sunbathe in a tiny bikini ..... and had a gawking teen neighbor.) 00

• OogieBoogie5 months agoReport

She seems to keep forgetting she’s met me, too so I am not sure the letter will stick

Just leave a letter and explain why you left the letter because of your stutter issues with strangers she’ll understand

• y

My dog, always good with the my kids and their friends, takes a peek at the neighbors kids and their friends then go about his business. Had a little incident the other day, The neighbors had a party, and adult and a toddle decided to take stroll in my yard. My dog was already out, had taken a peek at the kids and had gone around the yard, was on the other side of the yard when this happened, suddenly flew across the yard frightening the adult who grabbed the toddler and started yelling no. Now I could look at it like the toddle, in some sort of puffy dress thing, pretty much looked like the geese my dog is suppose to chase out of my yard. Or I could look at it like hey, they are the ones that ventured across the line. Instead, I apologized for the dog scarring them and I talked to the neighbor about giving me the heads up when little ones would be out and about like that. Just so that I can be more aware and slap a leash or regulate my dogs behaviors a bit more closely. Nothing happen, doubt anything would happen, but regardless of whatever, the dog is still my responsabilty and whatever the situation. It is my responsabilty to maintain proper control. Not, my neighbors, not the toddler or the adult just having a pleasant stroll.

• OogieBoogie5 months agoReport

Yeah she’s peering over, maybe I used the wrong word but she’s leaning over the fence

"Would it be worth it to ask my landlord to handle her?" It is not the landlord's job to get involved in this, and the last thing you want to do as a tenant with dogs is make your dogs a pain in your landlord's butt. If your dogs weren't there, this would be a non-issue if you know what I mean.

You did such a good job training your own dogs, why don't you train your partner's dog?

Really though, if she doesn't like the dogs barking at her, why does she keep peeking over the fence?

You could leave her a nicey-nice letter suggesting that she either not peek over the fence or that she make friends with the dogs, bring dog cookies,etc. so they don't bark at her.

I think that the letter is a good idea. You need to choose your wording in such a way as not to appear offensive. Just explain to her that the dogs bark because they don't know her and that if she wouldn't try to interact with them they would not be barking.