I need excel help. What graph to use to best display a lot of information?

Essentially I have temperature checks of a machine over 7 days. Each day the temperature is taken every 15 minutes over a period of ten hours. I am looking to put this info into some sort of a graph so that the people who need the information can see it clearly in a way that makes sense, is informative, easily comparable and isn't too overwhelming. How do i manage to add the date, the time and the temperature in one graph and how do i do it so it isn't SO much information and just looks like a hot mess on a page.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Roddy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Garbo7441 is correct in that you have too much information to display for it to be easily understood.

Basically, though, you need a simple line graph with date/time on the x-axis and temperature on the y-axis.

It may be best to produce a separate graph/sheet for each day.

Re-think the purpose of the graph. What are you really trying to tell the reader? Maybe extract only those readings that are outside acceptable limits and show just those?

• 6 months ago

Adding 40 entries per day, for 7 days, to a graph will likely result in a 'hot mess', as you put it. How critical to the operation of the machine is the 'unit' measurement, i.e. each 15 minute temperature reading? Is there a range of temperature conditions that the users need to be made aware of, i.e. 'Safe', 'Critical', etc? How would the users utilize the graph? Any additional information would be helpful.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.