Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 11 months ago

Why do people feel they need to preach about which dogs you should or should not buy?

I hear all the time that you should never buy puppies that have been bred and you should adopt from a shelter instead. I actually had a pretty heated argument with my cousin about this when her family came over last weekend.

I think that any dog should be adopted no matter where they are from, especially puppies that have been bred because no one seems to want them anymore. It's not the puppies fault how it has been born and if no one ever adopted them then they would probably all get shot if they weren't lucky enough to be adopted by a farmer or someone like that.

I also told my cousin that you need to be careful about the dog you adopt from a shelter especially if you already have kids, because the dog may not take well to the child and try to harm it. Don't get me wrong, some dogs from shelters are absolute angels and I think it's great if you adopted a dog that takes well to everyone in your family, but my family and I got our dog when it was a puppy and it is honestly the greatest dog we have ever had.

I'm just sick and tired of people who try to put you down based on what dog you have, and I'm thankful to think that my cousin may never want to come back again, as I don't want to deal with people who think that some dogs are better than others. I think to each their own, but it feels like some people need an excuse to badger people based on how they live their life whether it's about dogs or something else.

Favorite Answer

Some are mis-informed, some think there are no REPUTABLE breeders, some (PETA-TYPES) think unless the shelters are empty- that no one should be able to breed - yet all pure-breds would die out, first.

And it is a form of SOCIALISM to TELL YOU WHAT YOU MAY (or may NOT HAVE) and to REMOVE YOUR FREEDOM OF CHOICE. We all know, not any or all dogs is/are right for all situations or families.

People will pull dogs in, from another location/country, or buy on the black market if they cannot get puppies, locally. That actually DEFEATS all reputable breeders efforts to breed healthy animals with good temperaments, or an actual working ability.

For example: Look at what happened during Prohibition. The US gov. made it ILLEGAL to sell, make or buy alcohol. Well the citizens, refused to ABIDE those laws. Huge boot legging and moonshine operations & "Speak-easies" started up, and many people actually DIED from bad liqueur. Major Crime Gangs started supplying the illegal liqueur.

They had to RESCIND the laws - which did not HELP - but made CRIME FAR WORSE. It took a lot longer to get rid of the CRIME families.....

I think it should ALWAYS be an individual choice; whether to adopt or to buy. Our breed club supports both options. There ARE purebred rescue groups for virtually all breeds in the US, but some breeds are very hard to find, if not popular. Not everyone one can handle the demands of a puppy esp if they work, and very few people NEED or want a show dog. so, if they want a dog with certain looks or characteristics, a purebred from a rescue program "might be an option" but if they have children and the background and/health on the dog is not known; I can understand wanting to raise a dog from puppy-hood onward and choosing to buy from a reputable source.

Various breeds tend to have their own temperaments. Maybe they are just trying to help you find the right pet.

Just got a 13 month old from the shelter a few weeks ago. He's an amazing, sweet little dog and I feel very fortunate.

Over the years, I have had several wonderful rescue dogs.

However when I became keen on training, I bought my puppies from a registered breeder.

All of my dogs died a long time ago, however you can see Hanna on You Tube.

If you would like to see her strutting her stuff, go to You Tube and in the search bar type in 9rhubarb9.

I'm really not getting into what is a rant other than to say ALL dogs have been bred and it's up to the individual whether or not to buy a purebred animal, or adopt from a Shelter. I have never 'preached' this, either way. Just avoid buying from anybody other than a reputable breeder - sourced via the relevant Breed Club.

Source(s): I have devoted a big part of my life producing a recognisable purebred bloodline.

Because they "need to be rescued and brought to their forever homes." I mean, don't get me wrong. All dogs deserve to be happy regardless if they came from the shelter or if they've been bred. But in terms of how you got the dog whether it was from a breeder or a shelter doesn't really matter in my opinion.

As long as you care for them and they care for you too. Honestly, I wanted to adopt from a shelter because I do feel bad for some abandoned/abused dogs. But most of the dogs in my local shelter were already very old and tired. I don't have the heart to just keep the dog to just let it go again within 3-7 years. It would break my heart to get attached to one if they were going to leave so soon due to old age.

I got one that was bred because she matches my energetic personality/it was such an amazing experience to raise her when she was just born into the world.

It's up to whoever wants to get a dog. Just don't the person on either choice. There's no "right" choice in this.

• Ocimom

If you want a purebred, then do your research and buy from a REPUTABLE breeder. If you don't mind what kind, then adopt from a shelter or rescue group. But you always should have a "priority" list of what you want the dog to be; e.g. kid-safe, cat-safe, etc.

Do your research on all breeds for the pros and cons. If you don't have the time for a dog that requires a lot of exercise like huskies, Border Collies, etc., then choose a more laid back dog.

There is nothing wrong with buy a dog from a breeder, just don't buy from a crappy backyard breeder.

• Lily

I have had a vizsla for almost a year and a half. I dare anyone to tell me that they are bad dogs to have and that they don't deserve good homes simply because they are "pure - blooded". In my circumstance the dog choose me, and I did not want to pass up the pportunity to have a loving, caring dog even though I was originally not looking for a dog in the first place. I adopted her in a heartbeat and while it has been a journey raising her, she is now my best friend.

My Aunt bugs me because I bought a purebred, he is my 11th dog and my first non rescue and first non mutt. Why shouldn’t I have one purebred in my lifetime? Just ignore those people.

I know what you mean. For about 50 yrs I have taken in large & extral large dogs cause most places don't have room for the big guys. I kept 5 or more at any one time. Some were BYBed pure breeds, all with major issues & ailments & some where just mutts but all were large dogs. I could only help so many but I gave them all their last forever home & they died happy dogs. They are all buried in my back yard.