I upgraded my Dell Latitude laptop from 8gb of ram to 16gb of ram and it's slower than ever. Why?

Definitely not malware and the pairs all match up properly. 16gb is recognized by the computer. Any reason I might need to upgrade the harddrive to SSD?

• 1 year ago

It can not be. Please check the ram again. Because you should upgrade correct ram card suitable with motherboard.

• 1 year ago

Your paging file is set for the old RAM.

Start the new paging file with a start of 16gb to a max of around 25gb

Also, I agree with comments that RAM might not be seated correctly, check and fix if needed

Source(s): I used to work on the performance team at Microsoft
  • 1 year ago

What model Latitude?.....processor?.....

ksgentleman70 may have hit the nail on the head- ram was not the issue?

• 1 year ago

from the command prompt, run DxDiag. see how many Gb ram it says are working [first page of output]. if it isn't 16, one of your new sticks isn't seated properly, or isn't good.

many computers run slower if RAM isn't installed in identical pairs.

• Shadow
    1 year ago

The RAM you installed, was it the same as the existing RAM, just a different size? You would need to confirm the speeds of the modules and what your laptop is detecting each module as.

• VP
    1 year ago

Is your laptop reporting 16 GB in the BIOS?

Is Windows reporting that it sees 16 GB? (Which version of Windows are you using?)

Did your swap file increase?

• 1 year ago

Could be: That the ram wasn't the issue at all in the first place. Look elsewhere (virus, cpu overheating, malware, etc)