Drinking old pre opened wine?

I opened a bottle of red wine a month and a half ago before leaving town for vacation, if i drink it will i get sick, will it taste bad, will it not get me drunk or would it be fine to drink? It doesn't have any mould or anything and has been refrigerated the whole time.

• Clive
    Best Answer

It won't make you sick. Wine is a natural antiseptic because of the alcohol content. And alcohol is used to get rid of germs - I have recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure and need to go for regular blood tests to see how well the medication is working, and what gets rubbed on my arm before the phlebotomist inserts the needle is some strong alcohol. So of course there won't be any mould - the alcohol will kill it.

And it will still be alcoholic.

It just probably won't taste nice. Once the bottle is opened, air gets in and oxidation starts pretty fast. You can taste the difference the day after. This is why there are devices such as Vacuvin - I have one and the idea is it will pump as much air as you can out of the bottle, but it's not entirely successful.

I tend to only want wine if I need it for a recipe, and I love wine boxes. You get a cardboard box with a thick plastic bag inside containing 3 bottles of wine, and there is a tap on the side (bit of a fiddle at first to get it out of the box - just follow the instructions on the box). Squirt wine out of the tap, and as you do that, the bag shrinks down so no air can get in. The wine will last a few months that way.

You won't get sick. It will taste bad. It will still make you drunk.

Why on Earth do you think you might “get sick”? What could possibly cause that?

Will it taste bad? Who knows, why not try it and see? That's the ONLY way to tell. In theory it won't taste as good as it did because it will have oxidised as a result of being in contact with the air. Whether you notice any difference depends on how much of a wine “expert” you are and how much it has deteriorated. I've seen people happily drink wine that was obviously corked.

Will it not get you drunk? Less than a bottle of wine? I don't know it depends on how easily you get drunk and on what you mean by “drunk”. Being opened for a while isn't going to make any difference.

There isn't any mould on it - well no, of course there isn't. It's WINE! It's been refrigerated - that will make no difference at all. You can buy wine in a shop that's several years old that has never been refrigerated.

• Eva

It may not taste as good as it did when you opened it. Keeping it refrigerated would help. It depends how long it was exposed to the air.

Try a small taste. Wine usually turns to vinegar eventually.

• Robert J

It can still go mouldy once exposed to air.