Why is fracking controversial?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

There are several main reasons, but the primary concern for most people is that fracking has a high risk of causing contamination of groundwater resources. Basically, injecting fluids (potential water contaminants) into the ground under high pressures in order to increase permeability and allow petroleum resources (more potential contaminants) mobility through rock is a high risk venture when it comes to avoiding contamination of the groundwater.

• 1 year ago

Because it is potentially linked to the reawakening and lubrication of long-dormant faults, allowing them to rupture and produce earthquakes that can be felt for a far greater distance over the Great Plains than they typically can be in mountainous areas. The biggest earthquake blamed on the oil industry so far has been a 5.7, occurring in El Reno, OK in 1952, tied with an event in 2011, also in Oklahoma, that injured two people. Both are believed to have been caused by the injection of wastewater back into the earth.

• 1 year ago

Fracking fluid is contaminating water supplies and oil companies won't tell us what's in it, and they don't have to.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dr W
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

It's amazing how many "green" people are anti everything associated with anything but wind and solar energy. They wake up in their air conditioned home in the morning, fill up a glass with cold milk (or juice) from their fridge, cook breakfast on their electric or gas stoves (or in their microwaves), check their emails, watch the news on TV, take hot showers, dry and flat iron their hair, get in their car with the air conditioning blasting icy cold air and drive to a protest site. Where they promptly jump out and say.. "no more fracking". Yet they aren't complaining when they pay their relatively low gas, gasoline, and electric bills are they?

Those who say.. "fracking has made my home the epicenter of earthquakes" are either ill informed (simply repeating nonsense) or liars out to trash the petro industry... while they reap the benefits of fracking.

On the pro side, fracking has made the US the worlds leader in natural gas production. It has reduced our energy bill significantly. It has allowed us to manufacture synthetic oils. On the con side, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact...

you can read about fracking here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

The primary reason is because fracking is being done by oil companies and oil companies are always the villains in the eyes of many including the media. Done in a responsible manner, as it is by many companies, there are very few negative events.

• 1 year ago

Because it produces manmade earthquakes that damage buildings and nasty stuff can get unto the water supply. Oklahoma now has more earthquakes than California because of 30 years or more of fracking. It reactivating unknown faults. The strongest earthquake so far was Richter scale 5.8 on September 3, 2016. The epicenter if that one was more than 40 miles away, but 2 earlier one that were almost as strong had epicenters only 2 miles away. I suspect the buildings my apartments were and are in may be very slightly out of line. As a result. One my windows doesn't close evenly. Yes, one window pane broke in my previous apartment. I also felt the earthquake from the Murrah building bombing in Oklahoma City. I was at work. That was a 3.5, barely detectable. April 19, 1995.

• 1 year ago

Mainly because of possible contamination of groundwater. The 2010 film "Gasland" widely spread people's awareness of the risks, causing lots of people to take sides one way or the other. On the plus side, fracking has made natural gas cost about HALF of what it would have cost without the fracking revolution.

• 1 year ago

It's drilling through a crust. Try that with an egg shell and see how that goes. Now imagine it with more pressure and less viscus liquid.

Please share your favorite story when you featured something.

• Mog
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

It poisons groundwater and creates giant sinkholes. It can even cause small earthquakes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.