Joel asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 year ago

My dad has always had anger issues. Is it because of his chronic diabetes?

My dad was never an extremely horrible parent but he was very unreasonable. Grounding me for little to no reason and spazzing out for simple questions. He's done it my whole life and I'm just starting to realize that it could be from his diabetes. The diet coke he always drinks doesn't help either. I stopped loving him a while ago. This won't change anything but it does give context to me. Is this likely to be the reason why he's been somewhat of a bad guardian my whole life?

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Low sugar can cause irritability. Have you paid attention to when he gets belligerent. Is it when he’s fasting or haven’t eaten in a while. Does his mood improve after eating carbs or sugars.

Diet Coke doesn’t raise his glucose level. It has artificial sugar (saccharine or aspartame) so it won’t raise his glucose level. Diet Coke is just flavor water with coloring.

He’s just an ******* which is what I suspect. My old man has diabetes and he’s just an ******* all throughout his life. Since I’ve been a little kid, just about everything will set him off. Afterwards, he’ll feel really good about it.

• ?1 year agoReport

Lol, same! He literally gets pleasure from it.

• 1 year ago

First of all, no, diabetes doesn't cause anger issues and doesn't turn normal people into mean people. My mom has had diabetes for almost 20 years and I work w people w diabetes as a Dietitian, this is not an issue that comes from diabetes.

Your dad has psychological issues that are not diabetes related. He's been a bad guardian bc he's not a nice person and sometimes even though we wish they were different, they are just like that.

Put some distance between you two and live your life.

1 year ago

You're grasping at straws here. This isn't uncommon, but if you're seeking answers, look elsewhere. There's no reason for diabetes to change someone's personality. It's also untrue that diet coke would have an impact on this. With diabetes, it's all about sugar (and some carb) consumption.

• 1 year ago

Unlikely that his diabetes was the main contributing cause of his bad parenting.

• 1 year ago

he rnight have rnental issues too

• 1 year ago

I have never heard of diabetes causing anger issues (although one may be angry that they are diabetic). Caffeine can give people a small energy boost, but I would not blame the diet coke, either. Maybe you just need a better perspective.