Toby asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

So I had this situ a couple o days ago. Did this seem creepy?

Saw a woman on the train a few weeks back wearing a name tag from a shop. "Andrea". I saw her the other day again (she wasn't wearing a name tag). As she passed me I said "how you going Andrea". She looked at me for a few seconds said, "how do you know me? thats weird" and then just turned and walked quickly away. Did this seem creepy or more intillectual and mysterious?

Not like I secretly took a photo of her or followed her home, both of which I could easily have done. But I didn't even think about it

To avoid doubt, I had no strange intencions, I have a gf of sorts. I may have done the same thing to a guy in similar situs

• Cara
    Favorite Answer

I would imagine she found it creepy, yes. Those name tags are worn for business purposes, and are not intended to be considered as an introduction to a social situation outside the business.

• Cara

But she doesn't know what your intentions are. Creepy is as creepy does, to coin a phrase.

• Foofa

Putting myself into Andrea's shoes, that's probably more creepy than charming.

• Ann

I'm sure it was creepy to her. he probably didn't realize she was wearing that tag, and she had no idea how you could have known her name. Please don't do that to anyone else.

yes its probly a little creepy

• Lita

Creepy. Even if you read her name off her name tag it's a bit creepy to use it without her permission.

I promise you, the word 'intillectual' won't have crossed her mind. But 'creepy' will.

• Toby7 months agoReport

Dang, that's harsh. Im like sherlock hommes

Given this woman did not know you, your approach and comment could easily be construed as inappropriate and - to use your word - creepy. If the situation was reversed, how would you feel if a stranger identified you by name?

• Toby7 months agoReport

I'd be flattered and curious

she didnt know you and wondered how you knew her narne

• susan

Saying "Hello, Andrea" was creepy. Your update is creepy.

It was just plain creepy.

And not only was it by no stretch of the imagination "intellectual", it was stupid. (That is, if you honestly didn't realise that it would obviously creep her out, that was stupid. And if you did, but thought creeping her out would be fun, that was both stupid and nasty.)

Accosting women you don't know on public transport, implying that you do know them, is rude and hostile behaviour. Cut it out before you get a squirt of Mace or arrested.

• Toby7 months agoReport

You misunderstand , it could seem as if I'm pyschcic or like the mentalist, hence me displaying my powers