Dayton
Dayton asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 5 months ago

How do you feel about bosses wanting to cut min wages for migrants?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49007700

They want to be able to bring migrants in on lower wages, 'to plug skill shortages'. It sounds more to me like they are running out of low-paid workers, and want to flood the country with immigrants that they can pay low wages to.

• Biff
    Favorite Answer

It isn't about cutting the minimum wage for migrants but about cutting the earnings threshold they have to exceed to be allowed to live and work in the UK which isn't the same thing. It is about the need to address skills and labour shortages that is being hampered by the arbitrary £30,000 threshold, which is more than the pay of 90% of nurses, 50% of medical radiographers and 10% of paramedics for example.

In an ideal world the criteria for admitting a foreign worker would be whether they have a shortage skill to offer and/or whether it has proved impossible to recruit a UK national but that would probably be too bureaucratic. That should be regardless of pay. I know of a meat processing plant in my area that was advertising jobs every week because UK nationals didn't like the bloody working environment. The turnover problem was solved when they took on EU nationals, mainly Portugese.

• Ludwig

No, they want to lower the threshold from £30.000 per year. Nobody in my family has ever earned £30,000 per year. That has nothing to do with the minimum wage, which is effectively the maximum wage for much of the country.

That is neo-liberal free-market capitalist terror at its finest, bringing in foreigners is always about driving wages down for the elite, that's why the left serve the right by encouraging immigration

They are lowering thresholds so that more immigrants who do not earn much can still enter Britain and no doubt top up their ‘earnings’ with benefits.

So more low grade immigration coming to a town near you.

I just read the article and it doesn't say that. It's about lowering the threshold needed to enter the country from £30K to £20K. I didn't know they'd put it up, must be a recent move.

I'm sure other people have said this, so I'll now read their answers.

Isn't it the function of bosses to maximise profits for their shareholders?

It the 'days of wonder' that are promised to come with a no-deal Brexit under the demi-god Boris, cheap labour will be invited in but not invited to remain. If you think modern housing estates are bad, just wait until you see the shanty towns springing up around the edges of the cities.

There's already a shortage of migrant labour, largely due to Brexshit uncertainties, but also due to the weak pound (Brexshit again!) and improving economies in Eastern Europe making it less profitable to work in the UK. Cutting wages will merely exacerbate the situation! Unless of course we're going to flood the UK with illegal, non-EU, brown people to make up the deficit - just what all them Brexshitters voted for!

• hungryjoe

Why does it matter? Maybe not Dayton But an awful lot of those ill-informed idiots who voted Leave did so on the expectation that Mr. Patel round the Post Office would be going home

Well if its not done legally it'll be done illegally or their business will probably have to shut down.

This fantasy that we can remain prosperous and radically cut immigration has to cease, there isn't one sensible source that claims this, we can cut immigration but only invest more in automation.

• Foreigners come more than 30 miles to pick cabbages so why can't the British, hungryjoe? You are like all workshy lefties... a multitude of excuses!

That action will stop employers recruiting British workers and raise unemployment, so it will cost the country more in benefits which will put a futher burden on our economy.

Crime by third world savages will escalate even further so expect more knife crime murders, theft and antisocial behaviour.

• We rent three houses and that does young families a service. If they put a "massive" on me I will need to raise the rent which will see my tenants evicted if they can't pay. You commies are dull.

Surely Brexit will sort this out? No more immigrants. Lol. Joker Tories still blame Labour for immigration because they are too thick to see that it’s capitalists and right wingers who benefit from it. All Labour does is try to get them a fair deal when they are here.

• Jack H

She really does talk crap, the Tories consistently broke the records for non EU migrants every quarter from 2011 on...