Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 year ago

Can we stop the liberal myth that mass shootings are a white male problem?

Newsweek based its claim on data from Mother Jones, which defines a public mass shooting as an incident in which the motive appeared to be indiscriminate killing and a lone gunman took the lives of at least three people. Under this definition, Mother Jones found that non-Hispanic white men have been responsible for 54 percent of mass shootings since August 1982. Another tally, with a longer timeline and a different definition of mass shooting, found non-Hispanic white men make up 63 percent of these attacks. Under both definitions and datasets, white men have committed more mass shootings than any other ethnicity group. Newsweek’s claim is literally accurate. But it’s worth noting the imprecision of this data, and the percentage of mass shootings by white men is lower than their share of the male population, according to Mother Jones.

It’s also important to note that the Newsweek and Mother Jones analysis only examined one of the three types of mass shootings—public mass killings—which also happens to be the rarest type, though the kind most conforming to social assumptions and expectations.

Despite the widespread perception that mass shooters are overwhelmingly white males, researchers have found that white men are not overrepresented among mass shooters. In other words, white men are no more likely than other male demographic to engage in a mass shooting.

https://centerforinquiry.org/blog/who-are-mass-sho...

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

77% of the American population is white. So if every race was doing an equal amount of mass shootings, 77% should be whites.

23% of the American population is not white. They account for at least 37% and maybe as much as 45% of all mass shootings.

Looks to me like the numbers work against white males been the ones who commit the most mass murders per population size.

If all count are the numbers of incidences, the white male population will be behind the most because they are so much larger then the other population. When you adjust for population size, they are no where near the top of the list.

1 year ago

i think that can happen with any race, not just white people

• Jeff S
    1 year ago

Stop giving them the headlines!

1 year ago

I think so. But I am a statistician, looked at the number right after Don Lemonhead made the claim, and found he was wrong.

Edit:

I think you can see by the answers here that the real problem is that the leftists are either IGNORANT or LIARS.

One thing is clear, though. THEY ARE ALL RACISTS!!!!!

IF it is racist (which it is) to say "the problem is black men"..., then it is racist for Don Lemon to say "the problem is white men"...

I am done playing these idiots double-standard games.

Look jacka$$es as I have said MANY times, there are many reasons we are seeing lower graduation rate for black people in the US, ....., NONE of the reason are the amount of melanin in their skin. The problems need to be addressed not some racist claim that the problem is black people, FVCKING DUHHHHHH!!!!!

Now you want me to say it is alright for you jackla$$ leftists to turn right around and use the same damn language and reasoning that we both agreed was racist when applied to black people???

GO FVCK YOURSELF!!! I am done being polite with this. You want to pull this racist BS then go fvck yourself.

• 1 year ago

Since nearly all Muslims are Caucasian, NO!

• joedlh
    1 year ago

It seems that your own data support the fact that it's not a myth.

1 year ago

Obviously mass shootings are not a white male problem.

That's because it's usually non-white people getting shot.

1 year ago

Then why are so many mass shootings caused by white men (like the one in Christchurch), especially those who use unhealthy amounts of 4chan?

1 year ago

The chance of me being killed by a white mass shooter less than .1%. The chances of me being robbed probably 25%.

I am going to worry about the guys carjacking us instead.