Is this legal for a club to run like this?

I work as an independent contractor for a club in Washington DC. The issue is I believe we’re being missclassified as I.C. while being treated like employees. Below is the list of how the club runs:

-House fee each shift-$30

-40-50 percent of sales are taken out after a private room

-Forced 10 percent in tipping security after private room

-Funny money is given after private rooms with an additional 10 percent taken out.

-Fines for being late $50 every 30min, missed shift is $250

-not agreeing to do a private room is a $500 fine (forced labor)

-Forced dress code-we’re only allowed to wear floor length gowns

Forced shifts-they are starting to require certain shifts be filled if you want to work

-forced hour long meeting after the club closes-no pay for us

And the absolute best thing about this whole situation is that we have not signed a single contract for the time we’ve worked

Polite suggestions only please. There’s a lot that I have no control over if I want to continue to earn a living wage

It has been ruled many times that strippers are indeed IC's. Sounds like a place you don't like working at, find another.

Being an independent contractor does not require an actual contract.

• rhonda7 months agoReport

Yes strippers are mainly IC’s. BUT if you force certain rules,legally you HAVE to pay your dancers. My question is if these rules cross the boundaries between the two types of employment classifications. Whether I like working there or not does not give them the right to run an illegal entity

• martin

It's no secret that since the Great Recession employers have been treating a lot of workers the same as they always did: bossing them around, micromanaging them, telling them how to do their jobs. Usually you don't treat an independent contractor that way, but the attitude is that the company can't afford to have you as an employee with medical benefits, life insurance, and disability coverage. So far Congress hasn't cracked down on this, in fact the flow is the opposite, with unions being weakened all over the country. What can workers do? You can't fight city hall, as they say.

dont sound like it, i would ask the labor board aout it