Is the Holy Spirt a person?

• Raja

A spirit is an invisible element. We are not accustomed to say it as a person. A holy spirit is considered as a good and pure minded spirit. It may take people in a devotional path and give them peace.

• Lapiz Dominoes

Raja haz it to a `tee` imho.And I am not religiouz, but at timez, aware.....

Yes, the Holy Spirit is a person; the third person of the Holy Trinity. In the New Testament scriptures, the Holy Spirit is referred to by the personal pronoun, "he."

• norine4 months agoReport

Trinitarians are JUST PLAYING CHURCH when Scripture says there is "ONE SELFSAME SPIRIT" (I Cor 12:11-12) who has "DIVERSITIES OF OPERATIONS" (I Cor 12:6) that are defined as >>> "MANY" <<< in I Cor 12:11-12 AND NOT JUST "3" or a 'trinity.'

Of course he is, dear one. All spirits are persons.

• norine4 months agoReport

• Paul

Yes, one of the three divine Persons Who make up the Most Holy Trinity, which is the nature of God. Jesus Christ always referred to the Holy Spirit as "He", not "it", indicating His personhood.

• norine4 months agoReport

• k w

depends, is a spirt like a spurt ?

• norine4 months agoReport

The word 'person' is tricky when dealing with that which is Spirit, but there is a sense in which the Holy Spirit has attributes of personality that can also be seen with God the Father, and with Jesus, the Son, and we don't have problems seeing how they are two distinct persons. All the scriptures in the Bible about the Holy Spirit need to be collated to form a whole picture. But here are a few...

The Spirit of God moved over the dark waters of our newly created Earth, doing His work of bringing order out of chaos, light out of darkness - Genesis 1:2.

He creates us - Job 33:4.

The Holy Spirit anoints God's people and guides them; all Christians are anointed - Psalm 139:7, Rom 8:1-17

To be without the Holy Spirit is a dreadful thing - 1 Samuel 16:14, Psalm 51:11

The Holy Spirit inspired the writing of all of the Bible and gives the understanding of it - Jn 15:26, 2 Pet 1:20

Jesus said that after He returned to Heaven, He would send the Holy Spirit to Earth to indwell believers - Jn 16:7.

The only unforgivable sin is to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit - Mark 3:29

You can only blaspheme against a person (not a commodity, like electricity!) See the link.

There is so much more. If I made a list of everything the Bible says about the Holy Spirit it would run to pages. However, those who talk about the Holy Spirit as 'it' don't really know who He is! He is the third person in the Godhead - uncreated, co-equal with the Father and the Son.

• norine4 months agoReport

Absolutely not.

A comparison of Bible texts that refer to the holy spirit shows that it is spoken of as filling people; they can be baptized with it; and they can be anointed with it. None of these expressions would be appropriate if the holy spirit were a person.

Jesus also referred to the holy spirit as a helper and he said that this helper would teach, bear witness, speak, and hear. It is not unusual in the Scriptures for something to be personified.

For example, wisdom is said to have children. Luke 7:35 Sin and death are spoken of as being kings. While some texts say that the spirit spoke, other passages make clear that this was done through angels or humans.

At 1 John 5:6-8, not only the spirit but also the water and the blood are said to bear witness. So, none of the expressions found in these texts in themselves prove that the holy spirit is a person.

The correct identification of the holy spirit must fit all the scriptures that refer to that spirit.

With this viewpoint, it is logical to conclude that the holy spirit is the active force of God. It is not a person but is a powerful force that God causes to emanate from himself to accomplish his holy will.

• -_-4 months agoReport

If the Holy Spirit is the active force then is God the inactive force? And Jesus the physical manifestation?

• yesmar

The Holy Spirit is an individual entity, yes. To call it a “person” is a little misleading.

Source(s): Jesus follower
    • norine4 months agoReport

No, definitely not. It's a "function" of God. One of 3 functions within God.

• norine4 months agoReport

no and you will realize this . when you receive a unseen slap across your Face, that's his way of saying I AM