Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 12 months ago

Why don't more blacks go into high paying stem majors?

I"m currently in my 3rd year as a engineering student at the university of Michigan.

I"m the only black student in my class.

why is it like this?

why dont more blacks go to study engineering or computer science rather then social work?

• .
    Favorite Answer

I think the attrition rate hits (some) minorities and females harder than other groups. In a large state university, it's common for 300+ students to declare a major in a specific STEM field, and yet only 35-40 actually stick with it and graduate.

One reason is the Calc 1 and 2 sequence your freshman year. It's very face-paced at a university compared to a CC. And the professors aren't as helpful. The goal is to weed out the non-hackers.

They are not interested in it.

• John

It's called a generous government that pays out on skin color.

Minorities get a free ride off the taxpayer why would they have to work?

• Jimson C. Raskin

Sounds like someone's got a red @ss because he was too stupid to get into college.

• Lili

For the moment, they tend to be more interested in high-paying professions like law and medicine and business. You can't really get anywhere in the sciences without a PhD, for example, and that takes a long time to earn (and may not pay as much as a profession, if you're working in academia They want to start earning faster than that, so they prepare with majors that will lead to law school or medical school or an MBA.

• cool

Black boys are more likely to be brain damaged after a vaccine or ultrasound.

Sorry, but this white will not touch that question with a 10 foot pole. You are smart. You can figure it out.

• :)

Oh my goodness. I won’t even bother with this question lol

Many avoid the hard work required for sciences, math, engineering, etc. Many have some "social agenda" or "political agenda" which determines their choice of field.

• :)

I usually like your answers, but it’s too bad you’re a bigot. Disappointed

Wait, I thought you were a 17-year-old living at home with your father.

And this has exactly what to do with Religion & Spirituality?