Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 4 months ago

Is an hour too far of a commute for work?

I just found out my company is relocating. Where the new building is it’s an hour from my home. Currently, I only drive 20 min. Is an hour too far of a commute?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Jensen
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

IMO, an hour commute is normal, I do it every day.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

No! I did it for 35 years.

• 4 months ago

Only you can answer that, many people travel a lot longer.

• 4 months ago

That is a matter of personal choice.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

Depends on how much you want to travel, also factor in weather and wear on your car. Generally working close to home mean that youll be happier

• 4 months ago

That depends on you.

If it's an hour that's an hour there and an hour back so you're more than doubling you gas and time.

It also depends on if you'll be making a lot of stops or driving through a city or if it's a straight shot.

If you get paid good then sure it's worth it, I've driven 2 hours to a job before, but if not then you should ask for a raise or even per diem.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

That's two hours per day (one going to work and one coming home) you're going to be driving for work without getting paid for it. Can you AFFORD to spend that much time AND MONEY on the road? You can always look to find a place to live closer to your company's new location.

• arther
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

You'll end up like me f*cked in the head from wasting half your life in the car.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Depends on how good of a job it is and whether or not you can afford to move closer. Bad weather could double your commute time.

• drip
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

It would be for me. I am spoiled, my job is three miles away from me

I live near Chicago and plenty of people spend that long getting into the city for their job.

Do the math. How much more money will it cost you to travel.

Is it worth it? Keep your job, try it out, don’t leave without another job lined up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.