Can someone give me a list of things to check before buying an older Toyota?

I m planning to buy a 1988 Toyota Camry V6 LE. The seller claims that it is a rust free southern car. But I still need to think twice before buying it. The car has 163,000 miles on it, and only has had 2 owners and no reported accidents. However, it is an auction on eBay so I can t say for sure how much he is asking for it. Can someone please give me the checklist of things I should check before handing him the money?

1 year ago

Well, the mileage "should be 300,000 if it was a daily driver" and that is a LOW AVERAGE(10,000 miles per year). This has half what would be expected mileage.

. Now maybe it was NOT driven to work daily, then the mileage would be Lower. So that could be legit mileage. (my car is 12 years old & it has 30,000 miles (instead of 120,000 miles or higher...and it has low mileage because I drive it nowhere....not as much as I used to drive...and this car gets half the fuel economy of my previous car...

and the price of fuel has gone up 4x's what it was with my older car so I refrain from driving.(so I have my reasons) but I am not looking to buy another car.

But seeing that you know nothing about cars, you need to get friendly with some mechanics by finding out who are good mechanics and who are scam artists. You want to know the good mechanics well enough to ask them to check out the car for you and give you their OPINION. That is all it is, an opinion. Would they buy it. You may need to get chummy with a few mechanics (even back yarders) for some people who work on cars as a hobby know more than the mechanics in the shops.

. You got to start somewhere...

. To get their opinion will cost you $ just for them to take time to look at it. You are asking their opinion and that is worth something to you.

Or you can cheap out and gamble and float around on the web to Toyota chat sites and find out. You mainly use your eyes and common sense when inspecting a car.

Being at an auction site means already the owner is trying to get more coin for it than what he can get in his neighborhood. Auction cars are a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. There is no guarantee.

• 1 year ago

You are no expert so DO NOT check anything. Hire a mechanic to do it for you.

• 1 year ago

The only think I'd check is... for cars much closer to you at a similar price that you can actually see in person, test drive first and have inspected by a trusted local shop if you aren't skilled at diagnosing potential mechanical issues yourself.

I'd forget about buying a 30-year-old car sight-unseen and un-inspected from anywhere, at any price. Even if the car is only $1000 on eBay, if you get it and the engine turns out to be held together by temporary block-seal or it has some other major problem(s), you'll have spent $1000 for something worth $100 in scrap value. It's not worth the risk in my opinion, even if the car is cheap. Good luck

• Scott
    1 year ago

Never, ever even think of buying a car unless you can physically inspect it IN PERSON and drive it first!!!

• Erik
    1 year ago

Instead of giving you a list, I would just advise you to pay a mechanic to inspect it, and let him tell you what he thinks.

Actually, I would advise you to forget about this car. It's too old with too many miles, and if it's on ebay, I would only assume you will not be able to inspect it before you buy. It's a really bad idea. Go to craigslist instead.

1 year ago

Does it have a clean title ? ?

• arther
    1 year ago

You check everything do all the electrics work, heater, air con , lights, look under neath it looking for damage movement in ball joints bushes ect (might need to put it on a hoist or jack it up to do the later) look under the bonnet for oil leaks. Drive it listening for strange noises does it steer straight does it brake straight is it floatie? Does it select all gears properly no transmission slipping. If the drivers seat is rooted the rest of the car will be in the same condition is the usual rule of thumb.

Is it smokey when you give it full throttle? Is it fumey inside the car?

After you've thrashed the gutts out of it for 10 or 15 minutes look under the bonnet again for oil leaks ect.

• 1 year ago

The very same things you'd check, IN PERSON, before buying ANY 31 year old car.

If you cannot view and test this car before buying then don't buy it. from your question you clearly don't have the skills and knowledge necessary to take a gamble on buying an old car solely on trust, even if it's at a bargain price.

• 1 year ago

NEVER buy a car, especially a used car, sight unseen. At a minimum, any used car seller should be fine with letting you take it to a mechanic and have an inspection be done on it.

ANY seller who does not want to let this be done, that's a seller to AVOID.

And, a 31 year old car, even a Toyota, is worth close to nothing.

1 year ago

Brakes , tires , Motor , drips under motor , engine sounds . Wipers or have a mechanic look at it .