Why are parents so extreme?

I don't understand why parents think ''No this is wrong, don't do this because I said so.''

I feel they should explain the valid reasons they believe something is harmful but provide advice to help their kids have a safe, healthy, life if they decided to ignore your advice. The best thing you can do with your kids no matter what the situation is, is educate them on the pros and cons on issues that arise. If you have your personal beliefs, share that with them but understand they are individuals and will ultimately do what they want whether they live under your roof (yes, they should respect your rules while they live there but angsty teens will be teens) or not so give them the tools that if they should rebel they create as little harm to themselves and others around them.

I am from a very strict, christian background plus I'm Indian which means your parents control everything about your life including your body. My mom and I have a better relationship since I moved out but she told me recently two of my cousins ran away from home (I almost did) and she understands now the way their parents are acting is the same way she did which is why we are so scared to talk to our parents because they become angry and disown us.

My boyfriend is white and his parents are of the belief kids can do whatever and you shouldn't ask questions. He had a drug binge and his parents pretend it never happened...how are either of these styles healthy if you can't talk to your kids?

Really sad instead of educating our kids to not get pregnant or do drugs we push them to do it because we can't be bothered to take the time to talk to them and EXPLAIN why we want things a certain way. This is why there are so many single moms and strippers smh

Favorite Answer

I do believe Indian parents are the most strict of all on this planet.

• Amen, my one friend had an arranged marriage and the guy left as soon as got here but left her pregnant, the next guy they set her up with was her cousin. The people below will soon learn when their kids run away from them because they would rather scream than talk to their kids and educate them smh

There’s a lot of parents out that are not ready to be parents at all parents just go by THEIR WAY ON THINGS thinking that if ur strict enough and discipline your child good enough they won’t become spoiled and rebellious that may work for some people but in my opinion it doesn’t work for everyone in fact it might make them want to turn on their parents and that’s why I’ve been hospitalized for attempted murder on my mom parents don’t realize that their only affecting their kids even more by getting on their nerves and a lot of it has to do with how they were raised as kids like if they were raised in a family to where the parents were rageaholics (like my parents were) then they take that onto their kids as their way of dealing with things when things don’t go right for their kid and they don’t know or understand how to appropriately handle the situation without becoming aggressive because that’s all they know

Oh, boo hoo. Parents do that because they care. Suck it up and then grow up, you little brat!

• If you read my question, you'd see parents are REALIZING their mistakes. Parents who care should talk to their kids not turn a blind eye or micromanage to the point their kid can't do anything independently. I am not a brat, I have worked for everything I got and it's no thanks to mom who coddled me

Judging by your past questions and answers (nothing is private online, troll) you seem to post a lot about what you think yet you never DO anything.

• None of my questions or answers are troll-like. Also I ask questions on what to do and post my thoughts for questions as everyone else. Nothing wrong with that. :)

When you get to be a parent, you can do what you want

Great idea, but some kids don't listen. Some will tell you they want to make their own mistakes. Some will lie, lie, lie to get away with things. Some will commit crimes. So although I like your advice, it only works when kids are willing to listen.

• The only time I lied to my parents was when I told the truth and they did not listen. My mom admits she is sorry and was wrong for the way she reacted now looking back as she sees WHY I lied. Treat your kids with respect and form a line of trust and communication. You'll be fine

we gotta TEACH you blockhead KIDS !!! ..........................