Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsLand Phones · 1 year ago

Am I being targeted by scammers?

For the past 2 hours 20 different 1-855-***-**** has been calling, each time the beginning digits 1855 is always the same but different numbers at the end. 20 times within the last 2 hours. It's driving me crazy, and to make it worse this is not on a cell phone, it's my landline. What can I do about this???

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Answer every last call and say nothing more then the number that you have reached has been disconnected and is no longer in service please be sure that you have checked the telephone directory for the right number and I are dialing correctly. if it's somebody that you know your friend is going to recognize your voice and laugh and then you'll know it's a somebody that you know. If it's a scammer or a robocaller it will Mark you as a disconnected number and it won't call you anymore.

• sarah
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

I always say: "This is the sheriffs office how may I direct your call?" They hang up

• Dale-E
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

AT&T has a feature called "Call Protect." Activate it for your landline. Then, dial *61 after hanging up from the nuisance caller to block it.

• 1 year ago

Just go under settings and block their numbers. Or call your carrier and they'll take care of it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Don't answer any calls from that area code.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

You can try phoning your phone company if this is a landline but they are likely going to be pretty much useless.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Sorry, but I disagree with Barry. If you pick up and leave then dangling, yes, they'll be paying for the call, but they will also know they have a live line that connects to a person. They'll sell that information and use it further themselves.

We don't pick up any unfamiliar numbers these days, and we use a call-blocking product that detects about half the spammers.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Answer the phone but say nothing. That makes them incur a charge with no payback. Or you can answer the phone and when they say.'Is that xxxxxxxxx' you reply 'no but I'll fetch him'. Then put the phone down, don't hang up, and get on with what you were doing. They will get the message.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.